Clean new chain before 1st use?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I just installed a new Regina non-Oring chain. It's covered with a white looking film that looks like lithium grease. Should I clean this off and re-lubricate before the 1st ride? The chain doesn't come with any instructions so I'm thinking it's good to go right out of the wrapper. But I have heard from other manufacturers to clean this assembly film off before first ride.

Thanks,

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
MXTech, Yes, clean off that white goo. I do believe it is some sort of wax they use at the factory to preserve the chain in storage and such. It is recomended that you use mineral spirits and a old paint brush to scrub off goo. I usually put my chain in an old oil pan(clean) and pour mineral spirits in until it covers the chain and scrub away. Let it dry overnite and then lubricate with chain lube.
Little Jeff

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Thanks Jeff. I got it cleaned up in the parts washer last night. That stuff did look like it would attract quite a bit of dirt.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
An o-ring chain shouldn't be soaked in cleaning fluid. The idea is not to flush the lubricant out from inside the rollers. That's why you bought an o-ring chain in the first place! Just a wipe with WD40 should be enough.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
He said it was a non- o ring chain................?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Clean off the shipping coating no matter the chain, O-ring or standard. It has very little lubricity and is great for attracting dirt.
I suggest you not use solvent cleaner on O-ring chains as some solvents can make the rings swell, or dry out.
Oderless mineral spirits or kerosene is fine. No matter what you use, don't let the chain dry out before you lube it. Wipe off the excess cleaner and lube immediately.

WD-40 "should" be fine, becasue so many folks use it...but in my proffesional opinion, it aint fine for nothing but displacing water. A good chain lube, it is not.
Easy? Yes. Faulse sense of security? Yes. Lubricity? Very little.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom