marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im wondering what chemicals people use for cleaning those horrible jobs?Im using a std type cleaner in a parts washer and then using Isopropanal Alcohol to get rid of any residue.
Im basically interested in the best -not too toxic stuff to get stuff really clean.
TIA marcus.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
We had a heated water base (mirachem?)setup that was pretty good in a shop I used to be at. It was pretty good but with suspension parts its best to use a solvent type you dont want to rust any shims or get water based solvent in with any suspension parts : oil+water=foam . The heater was nice espescially on those winter days and the detergent smelled like oranges. Air filters would come very very clean but youd have to be sure to dry them totally before oiling. Cleaned carby varnish pretty good too .

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
marcus: what do mean by "std type cleaner"?

since we are mainly talking of oil based cleaning, we can either use solvents or detergents.

whilst we are on the issue of toxicity and also safety, from my experience, the cleaning power seems to be quite proportional to either increased toxicity (corrosive) and reduced safety (fire).

These issues will be espeically more important as the little dude becomes more mobile! You can imagine what kind of nasty stuff is under my sink.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Bruce i knew you would get me on that one LOL, i am getting some new stuff from a friend and will report back what its made up of.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I'm sure this is the wrong way, But. I clean with fresh mineral spirits and flush with brake clean. Always use nitrile gloves & safety glasses.

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Ive known brake cleaner to swell the cartridge seals on a KYB-be care full with that stuff.
Dean we have some spray cleaner at work that has that nice orangey smell-after a bit it makes me feel a bit sick-like having too much chocky.

Bruce i too have found strength seems to be related to toxicity-if we are willing to spend a bit more it seems a suitable compromise can be found.Im happy to spend 10 minutes longer if it means i go home without a headache, sore throat.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah I just hate it when I tell the kid to go down to theauto parts megastore for a case of carb cleaner and he comes back with the most fowl smelling stuff they sell . What brand do you guyslike that doesnt really reek or distort your mental characteristics too much ?? I cant afford to go about losing anymore brain cells . The whole 90s thing was just a blur HA HA !

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I sent the neighbor kid to Walmart last nite for some motor oil and he came back with 42 quarts of 10/40 all seperate no case no box. Its hard to keep 42 qts all together . Right next to the quart displays they were selling oil in gallon jugs , Go Figure ??

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by DEANSFASTWAY
Yeah I just hate it when I tell the kid to go down to theauto parts megastore for a case of carb cleaner and he comes back with the most fowl smelling stuff they sell . What brand do you guyslike that doesnt really reek or distort your mental characteristics too much ?? I cant afford to go about losing anymore brain cells . The whole 90s thing was just a blur HA HA !

Dean: they are all very much the same and made up with toluene, acetone and sometimes methanol, so i get the cheapest....walmart had some for 87cents a can! good ventillation is the key, very important

as for toxicity, bad things arent always related to the strength of the solvent, but rather time exposure.....if you have a crap solvent thats semi bad for you, but spend 4 times longer doing the job then your twice as bad off if you would have used the strong stuff to start with.

I like to go in hard, use the strongest stuff and do the job quickly. i tried to explain this to my wife recently but she begs to differ of course.

was it me, or did that sound like a benny hill sketch? the conversation with my wife was regarding shower cleaner!

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
BC,
I was trying to quote you I had a really funny story but I must have hit edit not quote.. I went back and recopied your post, but it was still not right.. I applogize deeply...

BR,
Jer

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Is this like the time I sent my wife to the paint store for "thinner" and she came back with primer! Honest to god, this happened. I had oil based paint all over my contact lenses.

spiderbaby

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Two thing that have worked for me.

Laquer thinner- works the best but is highly flammable. Not user freindly.

Greased Lightning- Get it at any auto parts or Kmart store. As far as a detergent based cleaner I think it works real well.

my $.02

Top Bottom