Cleaning an air filter with gasoline?

Sep 23, 2002
i clean my filter with gas then simple green. but some people say its bad for the filter, and to clean it with kerosen(sp?) because it breaks down the glue that holds the filter together. i dont believe that you should use the same filter for that long anyway. IMO

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
I clean the filters in the special cleaning fluid,then hot soapy water.After that 1 or 2 times in the washing machine on a soft program,40 dg celsius or so...
Many people will say this is overkill,but try putting the filters in an old pillow cover or something the first time you use the washing machine,its amazing how much fine sand you wouldnt have gotten out if they were just cleaned in the normal way....thats why Ive got 10-12 filters,-I hate doing it!Would love to try No-Toil,but nobody sells it in this part of the world....Oh,yeah,and dont forget to wash your riding gear or work clothes after the filters, to keep the females in the house happy ;)

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
The main disadvantage to using gas is the danger of an explosion or fire if the fumes come in contact with a igniter. (So I'm advising you not to use it)

Whatever you use, be sure you then clean it in soapy water as viking20 says.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
The second disadvantage is what do you do with the gas when you're done cleaning your filter. It makes it much more tempting for people who normally wouldn't just dump gasoline in a creek out back to do it. I use No Toil products exclusively. You can buy this stuff on just about any MX related website, you know.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Another disadvantage to gas is it is toxic and absorbs rapidly through your skin. The fumes aren't so good for you either. Like many 'oldtimers', I used gas for years and never noticed it harming the filter.

No-Toil works great.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
I'd have to through in my vote for NO-Toil as well... good stuff. GET SOME, you won't be sorry. Two filters a great idea too, so you can just oil and change if your in a hurry.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I knew this guy named Dick that used to use gasoline to clean his air filters. His hands got all dried out and sore, and he had a had time selling his house cause his well water was contaminated from dumping the used gas in his backyard.

To make matters worse, the bowl of gas he was using to clean his filter caught fire one day when his 6-year old came by with one of those play guns that throw off a small spark. Dick got burnt up pretty badly. You can still recognize him by looking at his left profile, but the right side is all scarred, his right ear is completely gone, and is eye partially closed shut due to scarring.

Dick eventually sold his bikes after getting burnt, and now tries to avoid public places, cause it scares the little kids, and people tend to stare.

Don't be a Dick. Use something like No-Toil.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
I’m sorry I meant to say diesel fuel. I used diesel fuel to clean it the first time and it worked great. The fuel I use to clean the air filter with, I then use to clean the chain. I really like this method just wanted to make sure that it would properly clean the filter and not damage it. Thanks

crmx91

Dec 4, 2002
I use diesel fuel to clean my filters.. its a lot harder to catch diesel on fire than it is to catch gas on fire. One dunk in diesel and air filter oil is gone for good.. next stop soap+water+ about 5 rinses in clean water.. let 'er dry over night and throw them in zip-lock bags and pour in the oil. squeeze out the excess and your ready to go.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom