Cleaning out rusty gas tank

RobertDavis

Jun 16, 2005
I have a tank for a '74 Suzuki TM400. It has some rust in the tank. Not excessive but it does need to be cleaned out. What have you found to work? I DON'T want to put that sealer in the tank. Years ago we used to put BBs in there with gas and slosh it around a lot to get rust out. I'm thinking there has to be some chemical these days that will work better. Ideas?

Robert

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
BBs might be too small. I used 3/8 nuts and bolts in my project. I sloshed them around with kerosene then flushed it out with gas. Finally, I poured in a bottle of Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid) to neutralize what rust there was.

The nuts & bolts (or BBs) are crucial to getting all the loose scale off.

zookieman

Jul 7, 2003
There is a chemical availiable. I cant remember the name though. I used it probably 10 yrs. ago. It worked great! it had 3 seperate chemicals. 1)an etching chem. that made the inside look barnd new it removed 100% of the rust. 2)A chem. to neutralize the etching chem. 3)A sealer (I dont thing you had to use the sealer though. I'll search around and try to get the name of the stuff. I bet you can get it at your local cycle dealer. That is where I bought it.

http://www.theshopproducts.com/products_gastank.html

Last edited:

spank

Jun 14, 2005
Simply you can to paint inside of your tank by polyuretanic or epoxi fuel resistant bi-component paint.( make test paint before to put into the tank!)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…