cleaning unifilter?

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
Will kerosene mineral spirits or gas destroy the glue on these dual layer filters? or what about the pj1 filter cleaner?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
No-Toil. Best oil/filter cleaner combo you'll find.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I love No-Toil but don't use it on Uni filters, it is rumored that the No-Toil will eat the glue that bonds the filters.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
chilli do you use uni filters? lie when u used the mineral spirits was it a uni filter?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by cr25096er
chilli do you use uni filters? lie when u used the mineral spirits was it a uni filter?

we currently have 8 filters betwen the 3 bikes we own 2 OEM, 1 Twin Air and 5 Uni Filters, all these filters see the same treatment for cleaning and oiling.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Studboy,

The no-toil/uni-filter rumor is just that, a rumor. I've been using the same uni-filters for years with no problems. In fact I prefer the uni's to the no-toil filters.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Are uni filters the ones that are separate foams that you can take apart? if they are I did have them come apart using notoil and the washing machine.

I am not sure if it was the hot water in the heavy duty cleaning cycle, the no toil itself or the combination. Had no problems with a stock filter,twin air? or white bros filters though with the same care.

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
have used pj1 spray cleaner and oil with good results,ride alot of sand,and clean filter after every ride.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Washing Machine!!! Man my wife would KILL me if i used the washing machine.

What's wrong with the sink and hand method? Only takes about 3 minutes vs. the soak, wask and rinse cycle.

Do you blow dry the tassles on your handle bars too?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
5 air filters and shop/polishing cloths and buffing wheel bonnets get washed then I scrub down the basket and washed again then my work clothes go in, stop washer after the first cycle scrub down the basket again and rewashed then I move onto the socks, underware and work tshirts. Its usually a full day event just to open the garage doors for one week.

agnOstos

Jul 23, 2002
Uni here and No-toil. The uni is coming apart after the first cleaning and I *DIDN'T* wring it either. Twin-air here I come.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…