Clouding On Surface Of My Excel Rims

RJBaker

Apr 4, 2002
I ride a YZ 250 (2001). I've always encountered a small problem with the silver Excel rims, I've had on various motorcross bikes. Although I keep my machines in a clean, well maintained state always; I seem to get a clouding type of effect on the rim surface. It seems to lose that metallic chrome like finish, and starts looking dull and clouded for some reason. Yet other makes of machines I've had such as Honda that don't have Excel rims, I have no problem with. I use a common detergent when cleaning the bike (CT18); according to the advice I can get, it isn't too harsh and I should have no trouble with this product. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the solution may be.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish. No hard rubbing and it will remove the oxidation you are seeing as well as leave a nice shine.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
You’re kidding, you're really "at a bit of a loss" on how to get your DIRT bike pretty? Man, I can't wait to get mine DIRTY. This one time I was taking a break during a ride and I was eating and I got crumbs on my seat, I used this 14.4 volt hand held Vacuum I carry in the pocket of my hydration system...please.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Hey if I had a new bike wit some rims on it that costed a prety penny i would want them to be kept nice. Even my stock wheeles on my YZ i use wheele cleaner every once n' a wile. I dont no about you but i clean my bike after evry ride. Youll get more out of it when you do sell your bike.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
You’re kidding, you're really "at a bit of a loss" on how to get your DIRT bike pretty? Man, I can't wait to get mine DIRTY. This one time I was taking a break during a ride and I was eating and I got crumbs on my seat, I used this 14.4 volt hand held Vacuum I carry in the pocket of my hydration system...please.

Do you ever wash your bike?
Do you care if you do a good job or not?
If you leave your bike covered in a layer of filth all the time, I'd hate to see your maintenance schedule..

I enjoy getting my bike dirty as much as the next guy, but when I clean it after, I make sure it looks as good as new. Some people take are proud to own a nice bike. Perhaps it's related to how we were brought up, I ride with a lot of people who don't care what their bike looks like.

If my bike looks trashed or worn out, I feel like I'm neglecting it.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Do you ever wash your bike?
Do you care if you do a good job or not?
If you leave your bike covered in a layer of filth all the time, I'd hate to see your maintenance schedule..

Do I was my bike? of course, after every ride.
Do I leave my bike covered in a layer of filth. Of course not.
I'd hate to see your maintenance schedule.. No, I don't think you would, you might learn something.

Hit the picks below, you'll see I keep a clean bike. And, that I care about what it looks like. BUT, I don't waste my time polishing wheels and spokes, mirror glazing my plastic, or making my DIRT bike look like a Photo shoot for the cover of a Yama Pub. That's my point.
Has nothing to do with how someone is brought up, keep the personal attacks out of your rant. :mad:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Originally posted by 96whyzee125

Do I was my bike? of course, after every ride.
Do I leave my bike covered in a layer of filth. Of course not.
I'd hate to see your maintenance schedule.. No, I don't think you would, you might learn something.
Hit the picks below, you'll see I keep a clean bike. And, that I care about what it looks like. BUT, I don't waste my time polishing wheels and spokes, mirror glazing my plastic, or making my DIRT bike look like a Photo shoot for the cover of a Yama Pub. That's my point.
Has nothing to do with how someone is brought up, keep the personal attacks out of your rant. :mad:

Sorry you took it that way, it wasn't meant as a personal attack.
It sounded like you were ridiculing the fellow for wanting his bike to look nice.
I know a lot of people who don't care what their bike looks like, and don't bother keeping it clean. Perhaps I was mistaken in lumping you in with them.
For some of them, I do believe that it was how they were brought up, as in the people I know like that their parents were the same way.

It sounds like I misjudged you, but I don't get why you would ridicule someone for wanting to spend the extra time and care in making their bike look new.

Top Bottom