Clutch Basket Removal Question...

d rockwell

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2001
It's been such a long time since I removed the clutch basket I can't remember if it can be removed through the smaller clutch cover?

Thanks Dave

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I don't think so, but I'm thinking it was because you have to immobilize the crank to get the nut off the clutch.

Lots of ways to get that cover back on wrong... I have a post here somewhere that lists the 15 or so minor things you have to keep an eye on. Each one is simple, but all together it makes it depressingly easy to make $200 "tink" noises. :/

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I hate those "tink" noises.. Made them a few times myself..

Check and recheck.. And then check it again.. And then have a buddy check, and maybe even his wife.. Then and only then do you start to snug it up.. but before you get too far... guess what?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
d rockwell said:
It's been such a long time since I removed the clutch basket I can't remember if it can be removed through the smaller clutch cover?

Thanks Dave

yes just put the bike in 3rd gear and use an impact wrench to lossen the big bolt after you get the smaller bolts and springs off.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
d rockwell said:

Thanks Dave

yes just use an impact wrench when you get to the big nut and put the bike in third gear.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Are you then able to retorque it when you reassemble without the clutch just slipping? Or do you just whack that nut back on with the impact wrench and hope for the best?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
hope for the best....

no...just kidding....the inner hub goes to the transmission so when in gear 3rd or 4th you can apply the rear brake and torq down to specs.

anything else you would like to be schooled on??

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom