Clutch!!! No Pull After New Plates

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Hey Guys-
I'm not doing well today! I just replaced my clutch plates, and now I have almost no clutch pull. I put the plates in, pressure plate, tightened everything, then grabbed my lever. It pulled all the way in. When I adjusteed my cable all the way out, I got about two inches of pull, but it still doesn't feel right. Now the oil isn't in, and the right case cover isn't on, but I should still have pull, right? What could be wrong. I know my cable is a little worn, but that's not the problem. I checked to see if the cable was attached to the actuator arm, and it is. Any ideas? BTW, I don't want to put the oil in unless I know it will make a difference, because I don't have have very much to waste. Thanks a lot guys

-Stephen

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Measure the stack height of the original plates and the new plates. It's not uncommon for aftermarket plates to be thicker than the OEMs and make the stack height too great for proper clutch operation. Yiy might also want to check that you didn't add one too many plates causing the same problem.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Should the pull be right without oil and a side cover? There is the right number of plates, lemme go measure them. If they're too thick, are they unusable?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If they are too thick then they stack up so far that the pressure plate is too far out and there isn't enough travel in the pusher mechanism to disengage the clutch. In short if they are too thick they won't work.

UKcr125rider

Apr 28, 2002
did you replace all the plates, both steels and fibers. If so, did you soak the fiber plates in tranny oil for a couple of hours? I've always been told to do this before installing fibers as this makes the fiber swell and give a ture 'reading' when installed. Stops when from sticking to the steels too when you install them. just my thoughts!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Although unfamiliar with your bike sometimes there is a small ball between the clutch pushrod and the button<?> that actually pushes open the pressure plate. Also some bikes have a thrust bearing and two washers between that button and the pressure plate. Often these pieces are stuck to a part you just took off so you don't really notice them and of course mysteriously missing when you go to put them back together.

My initial initial thought is to double check that these pieces are indeed there if they are recquired for you bike. Your manual or a parts manual should be able to tell you if and where they belong if needed.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Like I told you eariler, same thing happend to my bike when I replaced the entire clutch. Check the pushrod (check for straitness and correct length). Also check the push rod bearing. Pull out the pushrod and tip the bike twards(sp?) you and it suld come out. Be prepared to catch the little ball. Its a good idea to replace this even if it looks good. There cheep like $5.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
I really hate to pay the high price for oem clutch plates,but I always use them!Never had good results with anything else,if any of you guys know of an aftermarket brand that matches oem thickness and lifespan,let me know...

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
The EBC plates seem to be thicker by the thickness of one friction plate. Do you think I can return these to Rocky Mountain? I'm not a happy guy right now

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
wow!!!! well that definately sounds like your problem!

give them a call to find out.if you have soaked with oil it wouldn't surprise me that Rocky Mountain won't take them back but I think I would call EBC.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you put the ORIGINAL plates back in does the clutch seem to work correctly? If it does then the stack height is probably the issue, if not then one of the suggestions above concerning the pusher mechanism is likely the root cause.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Thanks for kicking in so much on this thread Rich. I'll toy around with it today and get a few pics, see what I can do

MikeyG

Mod Ban
Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by yzeater
The EBC plates seem to be thicker by the thickness of one friction plate.

Stephen, Do you think it would be possible to install one less plate to make the stack height more like the OEM Honda plates?

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I'm not sure about one less plate, maybe Marcus, Rich, or Eric could tell me the answer. I put the stock plates back in and had normal pull, just so ya know.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
You would have to put in two less plates I think, so that everything would match up correctly. You wouldn't want a steel and a steel rubbing together. How about putting in some of you old fiber and steel plates, along with the new ones, just a thought.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You NEED to use the correct number of plates PERIOD. If the new plates are too thick then get the correct plates. The OEM Honda plates will work correctly and are worth the money ;)

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
You NEED to use the correct number of plates PERIOD. If the new plates are too thick then get the correct plates. The OEM Honda plates will work correctly and are worth the money ;)

Service Honda, here I come!

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I put an ebc clutch in my my 00 cr250, It took at least 2 hours on the clutch for it to become responsive like the stock was. It had little pull and it would grab and jump. I rode it for 2 hours adjusting it like every 5 mins(exaterated) But after awhile it got better. I just check the plates and they still look brand new. Very happy with the clutch.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…