clutch on new KDX 220

kdx220guy

Jul 14, 2003
Have just joined the ranks of KDX owners with a new 2002 , 220 purchased from small town dealer. I have a question about clucth. When pull clutch lever in clucth does not release enough to push bike or free up enough to easily kick start in gear. Is no extra play in clutch lever.
Have change out tran. fluid. Replaced with Bel Ray 80w. Still no change. Any suggestions ? Or is this common with KDX ?

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
Kick harder :moon:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Check the lever where it exits the clutch housing on the engine. It should be at an acute angle when clutch is not pulled in, angled slightly towards the rear of the bike. If it is at 90degrees or more towards the front of the bike, then the clutch pull will not move the lower lever far enough to fully engage the clutch. If that is the problem, then you may have to remove the clutch side cover to relocate. Once this lower lever is moved back far enough, it will increase the amount the clutch pull engages the clutch.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Assuming you have the clutch adjusted correctly & the engine is nice & warm then should be real easy to kickstart it. Super easy.

Perhaps the metal clutch plates have warped/coned a little causing it to drag. Could check basket for ridges (which may hold some plates together enough to drag) but wouldn’t expect on such a new bike. Or something weird like non std plates/extra steels have been added to stop clutch slipping. Weak springs std I believe.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I think the answer is, 'It's normal.'

The kdx does NOT disengage with the lever pulled/in gear to the extent of having the trans in neutral. In gear and clutch engaged, it IS harder to start, harder to push.

It just is.

re: º of clutch actuator

That adjustment is accomplished by adding/removing shims under the push rod in the clutch. As skipro sez...if it's greater than 90º to the cable, remove a shim. If it's less than 90º, add one. Likely that is not your problem, cuz the bike should be set up correctly when new. Doesn't hurt to check, though.

..or is it greater/add, less/remove? Well..it's one of 'em! ;) Correct answer is in your service manual. You do have one on the way, right?

Actually the figure is something like 85º, but you get the idea? The largest amount of movement of the clutch is going to happen when the start of the pull and the end of the pull has the 90º angle right in the middle. After a clutch rebuild on my kdx using the XR plates (vesrah from frp), I ended up with more thickness, and the angle isn't perfect.....but it still works fine.

Oh..re: 'extra' play. You do have some, right? Having none wouldn't cause this problem...but you might as well have it right to start with.

Enjoy your new bike! Been to CDave's site to check out 'new bike prep'? They do not come 'ready to ride' off the showroom floor. Well, you won't be riding it for long that way. You'll be replacing suspension parts real soon if you don't service them now!

kdx220guy

Jul 14, 2003
Thanks for the informative responses. Yep.... have service manual, just arrived. Will check set up per your suggestions.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You didn't specifically say if you've been there......the link to CDave's site is noted in the 'every kdx rider should read' stuck to the top of the forum. More information on that one site than any other place anywhere! It's the kdx owner's bible...well, that and the service manual. ;)

Have fun!! Ride safe!!

kdx220guy

Jul 14, 2003
Sorry, yes I have read and in fact re-read several times. Plus have spent much time going through treads and posts. Have found the site to be most useful and informative. Thanks again.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…