Clutch slipping after installing REV pipe.

KDX_Mad

Jul 18, 2001
Anybody else experiance this? It's deffinately not because of worn plates. I already put an EBC clutch kit in and it still slips in the upper rev range, like the clutch basket design can't handle the added power output of the pipe.

Has anyone changed from the stock clutch basket to aftermarket like Hinson or Moose? What was your outcome and were you pleased with the results? I have a 2000 220 which I would like to hang on to if I can solve this problem.

Thanks in advance,
KDX_Mad

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
If you are sure the plates are ok, then mostly likely it's the springs. Install a newer/stiffer set. Call Fredette Racing. He sells stiffer springs.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Yes - I agree w/ BRush and the spring thing. I have never noticed any clutch slipage at higher rpm's. Is your clutch cable adjusted correctly?

I have a KDX200 bored to 225 and ported by Eric Gorr using the FMF Rev pipe. No clutch slippage problems here. :)

Last edited:

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
You can simlulate stiffer springs just by placing a washer [nice thick one] on top of each spring-increasing the preload. The stock clutch is pretty wimpy.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
KDX-Mad ..... I have a 200 w/ a PC pipe (rev) and have no slipping. Make sure the oil you use in the tranny is heavier than 10-30. Almost all of the 10-40's or higher don't have that special addative in them that makes them more slippery (forget what it's called). Just a thought. :)

Good luck .....

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I have a ported 225 with a REV pipe and no clutch issues, I don't baby this thing either.

Try thicker oil like Mobil 1 15w50 if that doesn't help then try the stiffer springs as mentioned.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I had the same problem, using advice from this forum I fix the slip without heavier springs. I don't remember the actual name but eliminate the large beviled disk that goes in before the clutch plates and drop the final plate in the grooves instead of resting in the notches.

Top Bottom