clutch techniques and hydraulic clutches

teamtnt#308

Aug 1, 2003
wut am i supposed to do w/ my left hand? keep one or two fingers on the clutch? do i do that the whole time? part of the time? just in the turns?....and how do all of these other guys come into the corner fast, turn, and then just blast off..are they messin' w/ the clutch?...and are hydraulic clutches better than stock clutches? thanx

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
1 on the clutch all the time, 2 when more control/finesse is needed, such as in a tight corner. Up to three in in some cases, such as extra control for starts. Yes, they feather, or sometimes "slap" the lever (think power trigger) as they get on the gas coming out of the corner. Gets the revs up, and in certain cases can control excess wheelspin too.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
and are hydraulic clutches better than stock clutches?

No there not better just different. Just think of them as a self adjusting clutch.
With a regular clutch you need to adjust the play at the lever. If you slip your clutch alot during a race you will need to adjust it during the race. But the hydraulic clutch compensates for clutch wear and the play at the lever stays the same.

LawDog101

Sep 24, 2002
I am not sure what kind of bike you are on, but if you are on anything bigger than a 125, especially a 4-stroke, you probably don't need to use your clutch as much as you think. On my CRF450, my clutch is either all the way disengaged or all the way engaged, rarely a slip is necessary. Even on a 250 two-stroke, if you are geared properly, and you setup for the corner correctly and are in the right gear, you should not need much clutch slipping to rip out of just about any corner.

James

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Gary Bailey taught me to run a gear high in the turns and clutch it coming out. He stayed on us ALL the time about always keeping a finger on the clutch. The clutch is an essential tool for bike control.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…