Clutch Basket Turning When Unbolting Question??

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
hey there. so today my clutch center bearing and my push rod arrived so I decided to assemble them. When i did so, i didn't have the clutch stopper tool or a rattle gun handy and as I went to ratchet the spring screws loose, the who clutch basket was turning with it. Nothing is broken i just want to know, does that do anything to the bike/gearing? Im not 100% sure if the bike was in neutral or gear 1 or 2 at the time when i did this....like, does anything come out of place or does it stuff anything up in the gearbox/clutch when it's turning in say gear 1 or 2 or is it perfectly fine??
sorry if it's a stupid question but i just wanted to know for sure. I ended up borrowing a mates rattle gun and got everything assembled.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I assume by rattle gun you mean impact wrench?

That's fine for taking those bolts out but you definitely don't want to use that to put them back.

No damage to the gears, as a matter of fact, I usually put the bike in the highest gear when tightening those with a torque wrench.

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
High Lord Gomer said:
I assume by rattle gun you mean impact wrench?

That's fine for taking those bolts out but you definitely don't want to use that to put them back.

No damage to the gears, as a matter of fact, I usually put the bike in the highest gear when tightening those with a torque wrench.

thanks for the fast answer :)
yeah impact wrench. i only used it for the center nut but didn't use too much pressure on it or hold the wrench in for too long. seems fine

does the basket still turn when you do that or did you have a clutch stopper tool?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
A little trick.... If you weld or bolt an old friction plate and a steel plate together you will have a clutch basket locking tool. Locks the outer basket to the inner basket. Then, place a chunk of aluminum between the clutch drive gears to keep the clutch from turning and torque the nut.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
I was going there Ol89er you can even weld a small piece of flat stock for a handle then I use a rag between the gears to hold it from turning over

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
I usually put the bike in the highest gear when tightening those with a torque wrench.

Just did the same thing on my sons 300EXC last weekend,. put the tranny in 5th and torqued to spec.

Top Bottom