clutch trouble

yzracer125

Apr 24, 2000
I cant' pull the clutch in on my 87 Rm250. It seems like the clutch springs are not compressing. I worked at it for like 2 hours trying different thing with no luck, It worked fine before i had the thing appart. Now no matter what i do i cannot pull the clutch in. Please help. thanks

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Did you take the cable off of the bike, becuase if you did then maybe you rerouted it wrong and its pinching somewhere. Did you take the clutch apart, if so, all of it?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
ok the info we need is, are the springs not compressing & rock solid? Or are you just grabbing air when you pull the lever?

Take the cable off & operate the lever with a wrench as a test.

Not sure of old RM but assume that vintage it is

1. a worm drive lever on the LH Side of the engine pushing a pushrod through the centre of the engine.
Or
2. perhaps a lever on the clutch side pulling the clutch toward the cover.

If the former there will be an adjuster on the LHS + there may well be a ball bearing between the pushrod that is wanton to get lost.

If the latter the serration needs to line up as it goes into the cover. Ensure no washer (or radial bearing) is missing from assembly affecting positioning.

Sometimes the pressure plate doesn’t slot down on the basket & needs a jiggle when you put it back together. With the side cover off is the clutch locked up ie: the plates are working (pushed hard against each other by the springs) & the centre doesn’t spin around.

ps will be away so can’t answer further, but someone will pick up the ball.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
you had the clutch cover off? Does the clutch cable actuate on the right hand side like an 88? if so you probably don't have the rack and pinion<for lack of better terminology>lined up right.

If it is the set up that I am thinking of the clutch pressure plate does not open by a rod pushing against it from the left but by being pulled open from the right side. I remember a clymers manual didnt have a good description on how to put in back together simply. You have to time the pinion shaft<the one the clutch lever and cable is connected to in the outer case cover> to the rack <the nothed piece sticking outof the pressure plate>. If you just put on the cover on you run out of teeth between those two mating parts and the clutch lever is rock solid not doing anything . You have to index the pinion out a bit so when it slides back on the rack in rolls back in the proper teeth. Its been awhiles and without looking at the pieces to jog my memory I can't remember much more. I can't remember why I didnt just pull the pinion out and put the clutch cover on and then slide into the rack at the right spot ,coulda been just to cheap to buy a new seal.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…