RmTony

Jul 11, 2012
Ok this is a 1985 rm 125, when clutch is pulled it stays open, mind you it was much worse, i do have the clutch cover off, clutch plates are very good almost like new and no burn smell, not sure if the previous owner put in the right springs, i have read that if you run the bike and warm it up then it would be ok, but i have horror stories of there shooting off when put in gear with a similar issue..... any help would be great... thanks....

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I don't understand, what do you mean "it stays open"?

How do the clutch baskets look? Are they notched like the outer basket here:

DSC01597.JPG

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Take the pressure plate off and pull the clutch plates and inspect. If no obvious problems, oil them and then reassemble. I've put them together where the pressure plate wasn't turned in the right position and would not compress correctly.

RmTony

Jul 11, 2012
2strokerfun said:
Take the pressure plate off and pull the clutch plates and inspect. If no obvious problems, oil them and then reassemble. I've put them together where the pressure plate wasn't turned in the right position and would not compress correctly.
the clutch plates are good, and i will inspect the pressure plate more closely, O i forgot to mention when i pulled the cover off it was dry but very clean, and smelled like they used ATF, im just waiting on some parts from the bandit before i can can actually start it back up....

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
A lot of people swear by ATF and love it. I have 20 gallons of 15w-40 given to me by my neighbor who used to work for an oil company, so that is what I use.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Zukes are known for clutch-drag. ATF type F helps this hugely.

RmTony

Jul 11, 2012
I went down to my local bike shop and he recommend a 80w gear oil/ motor oil, of-coarse i made the purchase seeing all the vintage bikes and dirt bikes he has repaired running smooth, now just waiting on my parts from bike bandit..

RmTony

Jul 11, 2012
I feel like such a loof... i got the clutch working, installed my new cable that came in today and was able to get a proper adjustment even though a had to reset the cam arm.... cant test it today cause the wife decided it was clean up day today :yell:, but i will sat and sun :laugh: .....

RmTony

Jul 11, 2012
Ok, bike runs good but found true culprit to clutch issue the cam was broken at the base, got it out without having to split the case new one is already on its way, and i found that my piston is bored to 56mm:laugh: and has performance reeds, plus some port work, now just gotta get some new plastics, found a site that has O.E.M parts for vintage suzuki's... i know it sounds like :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:....

Top Bottom