Clutch use (if a riders screams in the woods..)

Fred Bates

Aug 17, 2002
Had a Good ride today! One arm bumped a rock (I’d better get elbow pads) and the other one was stung by a wasp while cleaning the bike which nicely balanced out the swelling.

I am reacquainting myself with dirt ridding after an almost 30 year hiatus. Then I rode one of those turtle chasers, an SL 125. The SL did sound great at 11 grand at 70 MPH until I geared it down and put a ridiculous 4.50 knobby on it (hey I was 15). So, my learning curve on the KDX is still pretty high.

My question? This may sound dumb (yeah I know, there are no dumb questions, only dumb people asking them), but I need some info on clutch use. I weigh 270 (yeah I am 6 ft 8” yet could still jettison some of this gut) and am running a 12 tooth primary sprocket. The bike is a stock ‘89. Where I fail (and bang my elbow on yonder rock {if a rider screams in frustration in the woods, does he make a sound?}), is when trying to make sharp low speed corners cut by 4 by 4’s, and in single track up hill situations. I think I am too hesitant to slip the clutch out of fear of frying it. I do need to get humble and practice in areas that are rock free, but any suggestions form of you KDXers would be appreciated.
Thanks! Falling Fred in Derry NH.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
:) That's funny! I had an SL125 when I was 13. The only thing that sort of resembled a dirtbike that my Dad ever got me. I rode it for about 6 months before I couldn't it started, then traded it for a C.B. radio. :)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'sharp low speed corners'

The problem being what exactly? Not enough spit to git without some clutch fanning?

Can I assume a 220?

With a 300# load (rider with gear), the kdx is going to be taxed sore. The more you can do to get it running as good as it can will be to your benefit.

Then less clutch slippage would be required.

I realize this isn't what you asked...but some basic modification would do you good. Does 'stock' mean you still have the OEM air lid? Jetting ever been set?

There are a couple of freebies that, performance-wise' will help a LOT in getting your bike to scoot better out of a slow corner.

Of course, a -35 pipe, a set of reeds and as 36mm carb would be nice.

Still...the kdx clutch is pretty tough. Replacement friction plates for a late model XR250R will give you some added stickum.

Change your oil often. That will help your clutch live longer, too.

Maybe add a couple teeth to the rear sprocket?? Would drop a few mph off the top end, but give you a bit more go-power.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom