Clutchless Shifts

KDXrider045

May 23, 2003
Hi All

Fairly new to the KDX scene having ridin Husqvarna's for most of my off-road life. Just got back into dirt bikes and bought the KDX. I know the manual states not to shift the bike without the clutch. On the Huskies, I only used it to start off and stop and had no ill effects to the tranny ever. Interested in anyones opinion on this subject. It much easier to ride fast if you don't have to let go of the grip to reach for the clutch in rough terrain.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Many on this forum do not use the clutch except for what you stated and have had no ill effects. Personally, I use it. To me...it is part of riding and the challenge.

DaveRS575

Sponsoring Member
Aug 15, 2002
I myself do both.. depending on the speed, RPM's and the terrain. If I am in and out of 2nd and 3rd all day in the woods for example, and terrain is rough, I'll clutch more often than say, racing with a buddy down a long flat straight away hitting gears as quickly as possible...

As a general rule.. I use it more often than not though...

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
Huh.......you can actually use the clutch when shifting, eh. Learn something new everyday......

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
A KTM Hydraulic clutch is twice as hard to pull in than mine.... I don't think that Hydraulic means easier.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I tend not to use the clutch when doing easy riding with no load on the trans. When in the rough stuff or under power I use the clutch.

The ktm hydraulic clutch is a bit harder to pull then the kdx was, but I quickly became comfortable with it. The big plus I found with the juice clutch is no matter how hard I use it the play and feel remain the same
Lew

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
I use the clutch all the time on trial rides. However when racing I use it as much as possible, but as my forearm starts to explode I start to only use it on starts and corners.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I use mine, but I keep a grip on the bike regardless by keeping one finger and my thumb around the grip at all times and 3 fingers for the clutch. That way I don't have to switch back and forth and I have plenty of help on the clutch, and on keeping the bike under control throughout the ride. (However, if a tree is in my immediate future, I give up the clutch and hold on for dear life with all four fingers! I'm slow, but I catch on pretty well!)

Joe Ortiz

May 28, 2003
"Mine has a tiptronic gearbox, its stock on all KDX"
Greenpeace, can you enlight me more on this, I'm not aware of this on my 02 KDX.
Joe

jc

Sep 22, 2001
I ALWAYS use the clutch. Yes I have heard that is fine to shift w/out it also, and many riders do, but I only do so by mistake. (darn boots!) If I am looking at a used bike and the owner admits to shifting w/out the clutch I will walk away from the deal. Paranoid you ask? Yes.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by Joe Ortiz
"Mine has a tiptronic gearbox, its stock on all KDX"
Greenpeace, can you enlight me more on this, I'm not aware of this on my 02 KDX.
Joe
What he said.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by GreenPeace
tiptronic gearbox

Our South African comrade has dropped a little Stuttgart lingo on y'all. Tiptronic is what Porsche calls their manual/auto box. Never driven one, but they are supposedly quite the ticket for a fast run through the twisties.

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
As Jayhawk mentioned. The new sports cars as well as some new Audi's come with a tiptronic gearbox. You dont need a clutch. Just shift + or - on the gear leaver and it changes gears up or down.
Just the way we do on the KDX.
Shows you how far advanced the KDX are!!!!!!

ps.. If you dont feel at ease with a clutchless shift rather use the clutch.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…