1998 KDX 220R - Will not shift - Help please!

Jul 20, 2009
Greetings!

I installed a new stator in my 1998 KDX 220R, and it fired right up. This bike was purchased about a month ago, and started cutting out the day after I bought it. Unfortunately, shortly after taking off on a ride, the bike would only shift between first and second - and I could not get it into neutral. Then it got stuck in third - and finally it got stuck in a netherworld perma-neutral state - out of gear and moving the shift lever has no effect. It's not in true neutral - but maybe between twilight zone and outer limits.

Looking thru a borrowed Kaw shop manual [KDX 200 covering '95 thru -03], I am hoping that it is a simple problem involving the external shift mechanism, located under the right engine cover. Perhaps a broken spring, or worn/bent component. According to the Kaw manual, the right side cover has to be removed to check.

Has anyone had experience with a similar problem, and been "hands-on" with removing the right side engine cover and evaluating the external shift mechanism? FYI: the shift lever is not slipping on the shaft - and an oil leak has developed [I think] around the shift lever seal though that may not be relevant.

I REALLY don't want to have to pull the engine and split the cases - I think that would put me in over my head... if that's required, it might be better to part it out and buy a newer one... sheesh.

Any advice and shared experience will be greatly appreciated.

DT

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
It could be a number of things, but the most important thing is do not try and ride or start it, as any broken bits may stuff things up more. The leaking oil seal around the shift lever shaft may indicate that it has become missaligned. You are going to have to pull it apart to find out.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
there is also a good thread in the 2 stroke section on polishing the shift drum for smother shifting, of course you have to get everthing else in there fixed, but while your at it you might want to read the thread.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Pull the right side inner and outer clutch cover off and check the shifter shaft, bearing on a lever with spring and the end of the shift drum all of these parts make the shift drum turn and change gears the problem is most likely here and you won't have to split the cases. you may have to remove the clutch basket though

Top Bottom