Ud Luz

Jan 4, 2002
I would like to take the kids to Colo. for riding. I heard the Taylor reservior is a good place to ride. We all have XR's and ride Chadwick pretty often. I could use some info for Taylor or any other good places for a 5 or 6 day trip. Closer to eastern Colo. would be better. Thanks

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Taylor Park (area surrounding Taylor Reservoir) might be a bit tough riding for kids. Heck, it's tough for me. How old are the kids and what type of stuff do they like to ride (I'm not familiar with Chadwick)? On another note, there's still snow on most of the pass trails up that way probably until mid-July. I guess it depends on what you're looking for and (more importantly) when. It did snow up here this past weekend so you can still run into winter weather at this point. 'Just checking.

Ud Luz

Jan 4, 2002
Actually all the riders are 16 or older and are used to heavy technical rock trails, mud or the big flat(Kansas). One of the riders that may want to go with us has a 4 wheeler. Is it suitable or not? The weather would definitely make a difference since cold and snow doesn't sound so good.
Chadwick, Missouri is in the Ozark hill country and will eat up bikes because of tight technical rocky trails. It has about 125 miles that is a blast to ride

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I've rode Taylor Park and Chadwick. Chadwick kind of reminds me of Taylor Park on a mini scale. The mountains are MUCH large at Taylor Park, the air is much thiner and the distances are much greater but the slab rocks and ledges are kind of the same.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
So it sounds like if you wait until late July or August, get a very good detailed map, and keep a good eye on your mileage so you don't run out of gas up there seriously in the middle of nowhere, then Taylor Park might be a good place for ya'll to go. Just be prepared for mountain conditions. Mountain conditions = warm blue skies that change on a dime to rain with lots of lightning or snow at any time. Remember to bring and drink lots of water. It's beautiful up there and great technical trail riding for dirt bikes. 'Dunno what you'd do with a quad up there.

Last edited:

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
Go to Rampart Range. My dad and I used to go there all the time and loved it. Taylor is good but the one time we went the we turned around the next day and drove back to Rampart. It's a lot closer too (by Castle Rock)

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
The Rampart Range/Divide trail system is also great for dirt biking. It's less technical than Taylor Park, so it depends upon how much peril yer looking to find. You'll also see a lot more fellow dirt riders since it's so close to the front range (Denver-Colorado Springs). The trails are two-way so be careful of oncoming traffic. There are campgrounds and places to wild camp. That's where a spodefest was held a few years back.

I forgot to mention that you'll want to stop into a local bike shop and pick up a Forrest Service sticker for $15. Also, please make sure you have spark arrestors on your XRs. We're really very crispy dry here due to major lack of snowpack/rain this year. There may even be a fire ban in effect by the time you get here. That's OK, just bring the Coleman stove and you're good to go.

StormDog

Mar 4, 2002
Ud Luz,

I concur with CJ Rider the Divide system is a great place to take your kids. Some beautiful scenery, especially going down Hackett Gultch. I thought you could use these two sites. The first will help with the OHV requirement and the second will show you more trails than you will know what to do with. On Wildernet, click on Colorado, then go to OHV.

http://www.parks.state.co.us/OHV/permits.asp?page=permits

http://www.wildernet.com/

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom