mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
If that doesn't work drill off the head remove what ever it was holding on and then use the vise grips. If you have a stud removal tool, well use it man. Oh, yeah Sears has a screw removal tool that might just be the fix.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
sometimes you can file new flats for a different size wrench, sometimes you can use a hacksaw and make a slice for a standard screwdriver, sometimes you can use different sized smaller sockets and smack them on with a hammer to get them to bite, and sometimes you can use a small chisel and hammer to make a burr in the metal and then tap that burr in the direction of spinning out the bolt. care must be used so you dont dig the chisel into the the part that is bolted.
Plus previous stated ideas are good.

Azz

Mar 8, 2003
yeah, it seems every day i have to take off a rounded and/or completely rusted up bolt off(i do up old bikes)....First i'll just tap it to try and loosen it up with a hammer and give it a spray with WD40, if that doesn't work, i'll try heating it up a bit with a mini blow torch, that sometimes gets things moving....then, if all else fails, i'll get an angle grinder and grind a slot so i can hammer a heavy duty screwdriver anti clockwise to try and unsrew it.....
This has only not worked once, i ended up having to cut it off with a hacksaw blade, make sure you get a sharp one, not like me who was there for half an hour working on the bloody thing..

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Can you knowledgeable types help me with a similar problem to this thread? I have a 14 mm bolt that holds the head on by screwing into the tapped cylinder. The darn thing broken off flush with the cylinder. Making a slot for a screw driver sound the way to go, but how when it is flush (flat) with the cylinder top? It's an old bike with old bolts, and this one could not take the torque called for. I know it will come out because I had it out.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Tommygun

If there is a broken piece of bolt down in the hole you can use a center punch and put a mark on the center of the bolt (this will help the drill bit get started in the center of the bolt so you dont mess up the threads in the hole. Go get an "eazy out" extractor. The use the correct size bit (it sould say on the easy out) and drill and hole in the bolt. Use the easy out to spin it out. If you use a reverse threaded drill bit to drill the hole it might spin the piece out so that you don't even need the extractor. The reverse drill bit cuts when turn to the left. Use the biggest extractor you can without damaging the thread. Be careful, if you break the extractor out (its happened to me) if will be very hard to get it out.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I agree with Danman on that one and I use the Craftsman easy out bit. It works like a drill bit but you reverse it and it backs the bolt out. Also, if this bolt goes into the head and you can take the other ones out. Can the head come off at that point? If so, you can then get to more of the bolt to work with, no?.

I bought the Craftsman striped bolt head remover and the broken bolt remover. They come in handy when you need them for sure.;) Taking precautions like putting anti-seize on your bolts BEFORE they get seized is the way to go, if that's possible.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom