bad96z71

Feb 25, 2006
im sure it has been posted many times on here but i cant find anything on it but my brother has a 2004 blaster and it don't have much compression only 90lbs to be exact top end looks good in fact it don't have much run time so my question is would bad reeds cause this one set of the reeds look good and the other set has a small gap and the reed on that one side feel week compared to the others thanks for any help

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
You don't find much info on this because this is a dirtbike forum not ATV forum. But either way, the reed cage will not effect your compression. He either has a worn out cylinder or rings. Usally both on that vehicle. Blasters are known for running too rich and causing carbon buildup and causing the rings to lock in the piston. Your head gasket might be bad. Either way it needs to be opened and inspected.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
sounds like a typical blasturd. and from what ive seen of them they usually have oil pump injector failure and seize up tight.
pull it down and make sure the rings are free (prob. not) and while you have it apart eliminate the oil pump and go PRE-MIX, i would also have a machinist look at the cylinder and make sure its still in spec. might as well do a top end while your there.

bad96z71

Feb 25, 2006
rings are free and yea oil injector went bad have been premixing i told him he might as well rebiuld while there thanks guys

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
dont forget to have the cylinder honed out (de glazed) so the new rings will ware propperly
try klotz oil it is verry good oil

reeds -while your at it replace with boysen pro series the carbonfiber ones there pricy
but worth it
i would suggest mixing a little rich on oil because it is air cooled
try 32:1
check the rod for signs of ware from the injector going out!!!!!!
if it needs replaced better to do it right the first time
if you replace the reeds follow the directions on jetting!!
other wise it will sputter wide open from being too rich (most of the time because of removing the stock reed stopps)
:cool:

dirtbikegeek

Apr 14, 2006
You need to do a top end rebuild.If you don't have a wiseco piston then you need to order one and it comes with rings.Then buy a cometic top end gasket kit for when you put it back together you won't blow your old head gasket and have your coolant run into the cylinder and ruin everything. :blah:

Top Bottom