Computer POP UP Messages. How can I stop them?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I have been getting pop up messages. Not popup sessions of my web browser when you visit a particular website, but messages that just pop up even if you have nothing open. They are are a totally gray window with a blue bar on top that has a text message written in black on it. It usually says like, "Are you aware that your computer is transmitting a signal bla bla bla" Or here is how to make millions of dollars while you sleep.

Does anyone know how to stop these things? They are driving me nuts!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Yes, I've been trying to find out how to make millions while I sleep. :) Only problem is I can't sleep because the boys keep waking up!!!!!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks Okie and Keith. I will go and load that spyware thing up tonight!

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Thanks for the link Okie :thumb: I've been having the same problem ever since I was handed down this PC a couple weeks ago. I know I haven't been visiting THOSE sites, I can't get off this one! :yeehaw:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Okie, I installed that thing and it found like 25 or 30 spys on my computer! I wiped them all off.

Thanks! :yeehaw:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Try "pop-up stopper" to keep from opening up browsers and little pop-ups. It's free. You can find it a panicware.com

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
Try "pop-up stopper" to keep from opening up browsers and little pop-ups. It's free. You can find it a panicware.com
These are a different type of "pop ups" if you will.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I thought I had it beat...... Not yet. I installed the "spy-bot". Should I also install the ad-aware at the same time?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Pop ups a re just web pages that open without you clicking them-they are just annoying.Spyware send info back to the web site.
Make sure you spybot is up to date.I dont think adaware will find anything spybot hasnt.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by marcusgunby

Make sure you spybot is up to date.

What do you mean by spies?
Is somebody here that I dont know about or something?
I dont know anything about computer's.
I only know how to, kinda type.

And Thanks for the tip Marcus, on the reeds,and to RM guy too.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Pop ups a re just web pages that open without you clicking them

Maybe I mis named these things. I know it isn't a web page. It is a gray window with no controls on it except for the close "X" at the top right corner and an "OK" button in the middle. The top banner on the one that came on yesterday said "Messenger Service" I don't use any mesenger services or anything. What is this??? :| :| :|

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Which one do you download?
I dont know what the I'm doing.
There was a whole bunch of different flags and not a US one.Clicked on one of um and it gave me some different language of some sort. :silly:

Thanks

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by whyz
Which one do you download?
I dont know what the I'm doing.
There was a whole bunch of different flags and not a US one.Clicked on one of um and it gave me some different language of some sort. :silly:

Thanks
Download them all and select "Enlish"

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
MikeT that sounds like a pop up to me.If it closes when you press the x in the corner its a web page-you can make them look different than a normal page.Try one of the pop up stoppers.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I just also loaded the adaware and it found 38 more questionable items. I'll see how this goes......

Keep you posted.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
THESE STUPID THINGS ARE STILL COMING UP!!!!!!!!!!

NO, I DON'T NEED TO CONSOLIDATE MY DEBT!!!!!!!!!

Gray box with just a close "X" in the top right. No maximize/minimize, just an OK button. I have run "Spy-bot" and "Ad-aware". I don't know what else to do......

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Look, Here's a website that one of the silly things said to go to to stop the messages. I have to read all of it and I'm not sure if it is even yet another scam. If you want to see what this stuff looks like, go to this link.
http://www.messengerstopper.com/

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Just read through the whole thing. $24.95, and they will stop what they started!!!! What a bunch of bums!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…