Considering a 2000 300exc to replace my 97

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am looking at a real clean, low mileage 2000 300EXC to replace my 97 300. I have done a search and read many conflicting opinions on the 2000 suspension,but in general my impression is it is not the best. It seems many feel the 99 and 01's better. I have also seen favorable comments about the suspension on the 97's (Zoke 50mm conventional forks, Ohlin rear shock)

But... I am going from a 97 - so that needs to be my frame of reference. I just had my 97's suspension rebuilt (not revalved), my jetting is perfect, new top end about to be installed, and its in great shape overall as well. But...it is now 5 years old, and with that age will eventually come "problems".

I am a C Senior class rider (only one race season behind me), plus trail rider. No goals for serious competition, butonly want to have fun racing, moving up and getting better. My hope would be to avoid mechanical DNF's from a older bike, and perhaps take a step up in performance, particularily suspension.

So...is this 2000 going to be an improvement I will benefit from? It has stock suspension.(it has less than 700 miles on the bike) Or should I hold out for a good deal on a 01? My biggest concern really is the issues noted with the suspension on the 2000's.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Going to an '01 over an '00 won't do you any good. They had the fix but did not get it into production for the '01s.

Alan Randt can re-do the '00 for under $300 front and rear and you'll have it right for sure. My friend's '00 went from "this kinda sucks" to "this is PERFECT" after Alan re-did his.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i have a '97 250exc & a '00 200 exc. i've also ridden numerous other katooms of various vintages, including some 300's. the '00 will be better in some ways; it is a little lighter, has no linkage to maintain, the fork is stiffer for hi-impact stuff & the side-access air box rocks. the '97 has some advantages. the fork & shock are a little better on tight woods stuff, imo even after the '00 units are revalved. i agree with tex, the '01's suspenders weren't much better, but the '02's sure seem to be.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Dude...I'm gettin a 2000!

To paraphrase the goofy teen on the Dell Computer commericials!

I hope to pick it up this weekend - assuming this nasty weather does not interfere. After weighing all the plus's and minus... it still seemed to make sense. Thanks for all the great advice! Now if this stinking white stuff on the ground would just go away....:(

Top Bottom