robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I'm considering buying a different or another bike. Business is always busy and it appears I have a very large case headed for settlement in couple weeks, etc. . . It's not going to be big enough to get me out of debt, but it may well be big enough to pay off a significant amount and I wouldn't mind spending some of it on a different bike.

Thus, I'd like some recommendations. As you all know, I've been a 2 stroke guy who's slowly been converted over to the "dark side" . . .

1) your physical size : 5'4", 145 pounds

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Moderate to Aggressive. I like my bones intact.

3) what do you plan to ride - 80% track, 20% woods.

4) Do you have any riding experience? Lots. Started on dirt at age 5. JR50, XR80, CR80, RM125/144. Mostly woods/trail riding until 3 years ago when I started dabbling in racing. Also have done some street riding.

5) Do you think you will race? Yes. Mostly MX and possible GP/Hare Scrambles. Our local MX track has beginner, D, C/D, C, B, A. I'm a fast "D" and mid-pack "C".

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?: Yes and mostly. I've done 2 stroke top ends, clutch plate changes, jetting, wheel bearings, suspension bearings, tires, recently rebuilt a front wheel, cut seat foam, etc. . . Haven't worked on a modern 4 stroke MX bike at all.

I've got plenty of help from dad, father in law and local pro racer who works cheap and does a good job. Dad's got access to a complete machine shop at the power plant.

7) Do you have a preference to a brand/motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Leaning towards a 4, but open to the idea of a 2 stroke 200 or 250. Open to all brands, but have always had Hondas and Suzukis. Have owned 3 Honda cars and will buy another.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All brands available within 30 minutes. However, I can get Honda parts at dealer prices through the local pro.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? $2500-$5500

10) Do you live in California? No.

11) 36 years old.

12) I'm lucky if I get to 8-10 races per season. I might have 4 hours of seat time one week and zero hours seat time the next. I can get a season to a season and a half out of a 144 piston.

I like the 144 I'm on, but the margin for error is small. My buddy is about the same speed as me on his 250f, but he recently jumped a triple that I am not going to try on the 144. The soil is loamy and the run isn't that long - I just don't think I can get enough drive without wheelspin. I've been having jetting trouble and BAD starts recently. I guess I just have an itch for more torque and a different bike.

I know about cutting subframes, lowering suspension and seat foam, so even though I'm short, I'm not overly concerned about seat height.

However, I am concerned about the distance between the pegs and the seat. My RM fits me quite well from peg to seat - even more so since I cut the foam.

Which 2007-2009 frames best fit the smaller amongst us?

I rode a 2005 KX250f and 2006 YZ450. Both felt significantly longer than my bike from peg to seat.

I'm looking for something that corners sort of like my RM144, but with more motor. I don't mind maintenance (kind of enjoy some of it), but I don't want to spend all of my time doing it.

My options are any 250f, any 250 2 stroke, KTM 200. I'd even consider a 450 if there was one that would corner even vaguely close to my current bike - although I doubt that's the case because of the weight difference, even with 2009 aluminum frames. I suppose I could get used to the extra weight and power of the 450 and the maintenance would presumably be lower than on a 250f. RV and RC aren't much bigger than me - but then I'm not even in the same universe as far as ability. Then again, I like to ride on a budget, and 450s tear up chains and tires.

Low hour used or new - doesn't matter to me - although from reading here, it seems that most don't have good luck with used 250f's. I'd buy a leftover 2007 or 2008 if I could find them - and I can.

I'm seeing new 2008 RMZ250s and 2008 YZF250s for $4800. New 2007 CRF250 for $4500. New 2007 CRF 450 for $5200. New 2008 RMZ450 for $5500. Local guy has a used 2005 RM265 for $2600 in what appears to be VG Condition.

Thanks

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Rob, If my kids feedback is any indication after riding multiple years on RM125's then you'll not be real fond of the handling of the YZ250F's. My thought after riding my sons 07 RMZ250 for the first time recently compared to my 250 2 stroke is that you'd be very happy with an 08 or 09 RMZ250 or any of the new left over Honda CRF250R's out there.

I'd personally stay away from an 07 RMZ if you happen to find a left over since the clutch was significantly modified part way through 07 and then again in 08 after many (us included) had multiple clutch failures.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Chili said:
Rob, If my kids feedback is any indication after riding multiple years on RM125's then you'll not be real fond of the handling of the YZ250F's. My thought after riding my sons 07 RMZ250 for the first time recently compared to my 250 2 stroke is that you'd be very happy with an 08 or 09 RMZ250 or any of the new left over Honda CRF250R's out there.

I'd personally stay away from an 07 RMZ if you happen to find a left over since the clutch was significantly modified part way through 07 and then again in 08 after many (us included) had multiple clutch failures.

Clutch issues on a suzuki? You're kidding? ;) I'm still trying to figure out why they can't just "copy" someone elses and make them right.

Thanks, Chili

Top Bottom