constantly leaking seals

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
I have a 2003 CR250 for a little over a year that I ride on the weekends but never have raced. The problem is that I have gone through 4 sets of seals already. I dont know what the problem is!! I try to clean the down tubes after every ride but they seem to leak after every couple months. I am using genuine honda seals and I've looked over the tubes and don't see any scratches or nicks. Do you guys have any advice?

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
Pro2K,
Have you replaced your bushings? most just replace the fork seals and don't replace the wipers or check the bushings.

Russ

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
I replace the seals and the wipers as a set each time. I haven't replaced any bushings but they look pretty good to me but I don't really know what to look for on those.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I found the seals are not very resistant to mud. If you have to ride in mud I'd suggest you buy some seal savers. If mud has a chance to dry on the chrome slider, you're done. For sand and most prepared tracks they are good enough. There may be some clay in the soil where you live. With clay, sometimes the dust wipers aren't strong enough to take it.

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002

Thanks NO HAND! In fact the area where I last blew a seal was a old strip mine where the mud is very clay like. I've tried the seal savers before and I still had leaks. I used the short ones so maybe mud and sand got caught under the savers and built up and pushed there way up into the seals. I dunno! What is a good technique for cleaning the wipers and down tubes after riding?? THANKS!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
pro, I just responded to where you posted this in the other forum (vendor section) Try not to double post on the same thing. We will get you the answers you need.

MikeT

TravisP

Sep 11, 2003
Possibly a bent tube? or not being mean did you install them correctly the seals have an inner and outer if i am not mistaking the numbers of the seal(inner Oil seal) face outwards or towards the bottom of the fork did you use grease on the inner lip of the seal? did you use a fork seal protector when installing? i doubt if you installed them wrong as you said they didnt leak at first just a few of my rambling thoughts

brainstemd

Nov 21, 2003
Routinely clean the dirt out from under the wipers. If there is room between the seal and the wiper you might try inserting a felt ring spread liberally with vaseline or a light grease. After cleaning, polish the fork tubes leaving no water spots. Before riding, soak a paper towel with silicone spray and wipe the chrome tubes down.

rwild

Oct 25, 2004
Same problem here

I have replaced my a couple of times and still they leak my are on a 03 cr 250 when I had YZ's they had KYB forks and I replaced them many time with no problems anyone have anymore insight on this matter ??? Thanks

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
Well, I had mine rebuilt by factory connection this time and no problems leaking anymore. I must have been doing something wrong when I did it myself. Man, Factory connection ROCKS!!! I sent them out on Monday and they were back by Friday. They unpacked, rebuilt, repacked and shipped them out the same day they received them. Awesome service! :aj:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Have you rode in the same conditions since the fc rebuild? i ask as the showas will leak no matter what you do when ridden regularly in mud-its due to the design of the seals.Its a good money maker for any shop.

kuritaro9

Nov 7, 2004

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
kuritaro9 said:
...i have found that the older style showa seals from a 97 or 98 cr hold up much better than the newer 00 and up seals,plus they are the same size.the older ones are slightly stiffer which caused more stiction...
Good to know!! Thanks for the tip. I personnaly have no problem with my bike but I know some people who are starting to wonder if the stock showa seal is a bad joke or what. mud= :ugg:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It only has one spring behind the lip instead of the 2 on a normal seal, however the new 48mm kybs seem to leak a little as well-i think they use low tension seals to reduce stiction on these tree trucks we call forks.

wildbill2

Mar 13, 2004
Have you thought about checking to make sure your forks are not in a bind.That can cause them to leak,also check for any freeplay in other words with the front end off the ground and the wheel removed check for play by trying to move the lower part of the fork leg.Hope this gives some insight and helps.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…