GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Okay, I have promted this question to at least 4 individuals by now and I still do not know what the necessary tools are!!

All well meaning answers were given...from "I take everything!!" (Yeah, that helped me a bunch! :silly: ) to "blah blah this tool and that" I confess it went in one ear and out the other (my fault!!). I should have written them down.

My sincere intent is to learn how to USE the tools. For example, when I bent my brake lever up in Oregon, E-Ticket demonstrated how to change out the old one for new, told me which tools by name. Simple enough. Sparky YZF's husband has also demonstrated changing out my stock bars for Renthals and showed me which tools, etc. Okay, two lessons under my belt!!

I have a nearly empty 4-drawer Craftsman toolbox that needs to be filled.

Here's what I have so far:
(1) Phillips Head Screwdriver
(1) Flat Head Screwdriver
(1) Channel Locks
(1) Wire cutters
(1) Crescent Wrench
(1) Hammer

Given the size of my tool box (just 4 drawers!!) what would you recommend I purchase to have a well rounded, efficient tool collection for basic maintenance and field repairs?? I will master how to use them with time.

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT if you would be specific about the tools because I am probably going to print off your responses to take to Sears with me!!

Thank You!!!!!! :confused:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
if I had to start out buying tools specifically for my bike I would start with 8,10,12,and 14 millimeter wrenches 6,8,10,12,and 14 mm sockets and a ratchet ,extensions or T handle to drive them. A spark plug wrench that will work on your bike<some four strokes can be a bear without the special little goofy thing that comes with the bike> . A few more different sizes of screwdrivers that fit the different screws nicely. Metric Allen wrenches, a rubber mallet a medium ball pein hammer a long punch a tape measure either two very well made adjustable wrenches<medium to big> or the proper sized wrenches for your axles. Wire brush,rags , brake /contact cleaner, penetrating oil, duct tape ,epoxy and hand cleaner. And then countless trips to sears or the hardware store to pick up the small incidentals that you would come across that you didnt think of before hand.

be careful many a man :D has gone broke at the hardware store <:D Tim Allen grunt> buying tools that he thinks would be awesome to have <kid in candy store , delusions of grandiour whatever the delusion is > Buy good tools stay away from them K Mart one kit does everything for 12.95 as soon as those tools break not only will you have to buy another tool but you will have to stop the blood that is oozing out of your knuckles. Dont buy tools that you arent going to use<unless you can with regarlar certainty get somebody else to use them for you>. pick the tools that feel comfortable in your hands thin polished wrenches are nice too look at in the box but to tell you the truth they hurt MY hand

If your ever in my neighborhood and want to go shopping at the hardware store I am more than willing to give you a tour of my second home :)

B

biglou

I usually stuff most of my small parts into my box, it is a Craftsman 3-drawer. I have one of those screwdrivers with the four tips built in, small and large phillips and straight-slot. I also keep plugs, jets, a small assortment of metric nuts and bolts (in a baggie). If I break a lever off near the end, I will keep it in the box in case I break the current one off right at the perch-some lever is better than no lever!

I changed the chain on the YZ before I ever rode it, so I put the stock chain into the Regina box and it now resides in the toolbox, too. I think there are a couple of grips (just in case), a small tube of grip glue, and a small tube of LocTite that you can get at any auto parts store.

For wrenches and such, I have a basic Craftsman set of metric wrenches from 6 (I think) up to about 14mm, I have a basic 3/8 metric ratchet set, including a "step-down" for the smaller sockets. The sockets range from 6-14mm. I also carry a set of metric allen wrenches, the long-handled type that come in the plastic caddy. I don't like the "pocket knife" type sets because they are too short and don't offer enough leverage. And they can bend more easily if you really crank down on them.

Lastly, I have a basic set of pliers, standard and needle-nosed, wire cutters, and channel-locks.

On top of all that, I keep my kTm toolkit with the special plug wrench, T-handle and bottle-opener (for after the ride!) in there as well. kTm's plug wrench keeps you from having to remove the tank to change the plug, and the entire toolkit with an extra plug thrown in easily fits into a backpack hydration system for long treks through the woods. It's saved my butt a time or two.

All that and some basic ingenuity should keep you and any riding buddies out of trouble in most situations!

Motololo

Apr 9, 2002
plenty of duct tape, bailing wire and a couple of bungy cords. The deluxe kit includes a couple pieces of chewing gum. :)

Last edited:

KRJE

Nov 14, 2001
jmics has a great list. I would add a swivel socket attachment though to get to those bolts it really funky places.

As far as quality of tools, get a high quality ratchet and allen wrenches. The cheaper sockets work well but I'be broken more than one ratchet, it just strips out then it goes flying across the shop and who knows what will break next!!!

Don't forget, there's always birthdays and Christmas and all kinds of occasions where a hint to the right person nets a good useful gift. My mom still complains that she's sick of buying Guy stuff for her little girl but dad sure enjoys it more. Last year it was the Shop-Vac, only problem was he was disappointed because I knew what it was before I unwrapped it. He thought putting the spare filter on top of it would throw me off but I know my dad and everything always comes with a spare!

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
I would be lost without my T-handles. Not available from sears but you can get them through Motion- Pro. They make checking for loose bolts a breeze. Then I would suggest a set of 3/8drive medium depth sockets 6~21mm. Next would be a set of box and wrenches 8~21mm if you have the coin go for the swanky ratcheting type. Set of dental pics of odd bends come in handy for getting crud out andremoving O-rings and oddball things. Better get a set of metric allen keys too, these I have seen in T-handle form at Sears. Most important of all get a good torque wrench. One that goes down to at least 10 ft/lbs. Then buy larger wrenches and sockets as needed so you won't have the useless ones cluttering up the box.....and remember you never stop buying tools it is an endless process :p

B

biglou

(Slapping self n forehead) For some reason, I envisioned the toolbox as a "take with you on rides" portable type of toolbox. That is what I was naming off tools for. Everyone else here is correct. Start with the basics and just build from there. I have a Craftsman rollaway and chest in the garage that is packed with tools collected since I was a teenager. There's no such thing as too many tools! One nice way is to buy something as you need it (hopefully it won't be an emergency), and, as mentioned, ask for stuff for Christmas.

I do buy some cheap tools IF and only if I know they won't see severe duty. Things like the dental picks. You have to justify the original cost of some tools as compared to buying the Craftsman or Snap-On ones against just replacing the el-cheapos once in a great while.

I have a set of "Popular Mechanics" sockets and ratchets at work that I got at Wal-Mart, and they haven't let me down yet. They are also lifetime warrantied. Wal-Mart is a good place to pick up a lot of your basic starter stuff on a budget.

Happy wrenching! :)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have a set of "Popular Mechanics" sockets and ratchets at work that I got at Wal-Mart, and they haven't let me down yet. They are also lifetime warrantied. Wal-Mart is a good place to pick up a lot of your basic starter stuff on a budget.

IMHO if the tools are warrantied they are probably good. If the company that makes them are willing to gamble that you wont break them, that is a good bet for you. My statement about watching out for the Kmart 12.95 kits may have been misleading. Kmart, Walmart, Homedepot etc etc do sell good tools but unfortunately they are usually placed right next to garbage so be careful. Being a smart shopper definately doesn't mean spending lots of money
There's no such thing as too many tools!

my personal dream is too have any tool to do any job possible but never having too actually NEED them heheh
seriously being a a mechanic for a living and having one of them ridiculously big tool boxes jammed full of all sorts of money in different shapes and sizes. I maybe use 1/10th of all that on a regurlar day to day basis and sometimes I just sit there look at my tool box and shake my head thinking that I could of went to school and got a job that didnt break my back...... but the grass is always greener...

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
It's hard to go wrong with Craftsman,life time replacement waranty, Sears stores are everywhere.Don't buy cheap tools. You can sign up for the Craftsman club card=10% off during club card days. If you can buy a complete set($cheaper to) Most of time you get a lot of what you don't need right off,but you'll use it later So pick up a craftsman tool catalog & go to www.sears.com

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Thanks everyone! Now I've got my list - I'll let you know what I end up with! And if I ever see you, and you're broke down, you can borrow any tools you need!!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I ever see you, and you're broke down, you can borrow any tools you need!!

not too sound ungrateful but don't lend them out to anybody that you wouldn't just give money too. Unfortunately when they leave your sight they tend to stay that way!!!

racergirl76

Oct 13, 2000
A high quality bright pink or red fingernail polish mark helps my tools to find their way home. The guys think it's sacreligious to paint my tools with a stripe of fingernail polish, yet on more than a few occations at the track someone has brought back (name that tool) figuring it must be mine.

I'd be happy to head to Sears with you.

Top Bottom