atcomx98

Jan 21, 2007
I have a 2004 Honda crf250r. I am pretty good with the bike but never changed the coolant. Never had to. But now it is pretty low and i bought new coolant. The only thing is, is that i dont know where the drain plug is for it, to drain the coolant. My owners manual doesnt tell me either where it is. So can anyone help me please.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
There are 2 drains on a 2-stroke, one on the water pump, it will be a combination 10mm and philips head. Another simliar screw is located on the water pump side of the cylinder. To completely drain the system, you'll need to remove both of these. The 4-stroke probably uses a similar setup.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
What you need to do is remove the radiator filler cap on the top of the radiator (this creates a good vaccuum when you remove the drain plug to ensure all coolant completely drains). Then remove the plastic right side engine guard (the one that protects the water pump) and then remove the coolant drain plug (its a small bolt - 8mm I believe that is at the bottom-center of the water pump cover). Be ready because as soon as you remove the drain plug the coolant will discharge very fast and pretty much shoot straight out of there so get a drain pan ready to hold up there to catch it as it flows out. Once it all appears to have drained, tilt the bike from side to side to ensure you have drained it all. Then reinstall the drain plug and replace the sealing washer (if necessary) and begin pouring in the new coolant. The best way to do this is to measure it out with a ratio rite to ensure you put in the correct volume but it can be done without it as well. When you add the coolant ensure you pour it in slowly and constantly, that way you allow the new coolant moving in to push any air out of the system. Once it fills up to the bottom of the radiator filler neck. You will want to tilt the bike over to the side slightly this will again allow the coolant to flow into the system completely and forces out any remaining air pockets. Top it off as necessary. When full, the coolant level should come up to the bottom of the filler neck. Reinstall the filler cap and put your right side engine guard back on and you should be good to go. I usually will start the bike up and allow it to run at idle for 3 minutes to give the coolant a chance to circulate through the system. Then I shut it off, let it sit on the work stand for 3 minutes and then check the level by removing the filler cap. Ensure you give it the 3 minutes or more time to cool because you dont want to open the radiator cap when it is hot.

I dont know why honda doesnt put that procedure in their owners manual it really doesnt make much sense considering they put an explanation of how to check valve clearance in there but tell you that only an experienced or Honda Certified Tech should change your coolant. If you get a Service Manual for your bike it has all of that info for you. You can order the Service Manual from HELM, INC. www.helminc.com

atcomx98

Jan 21, 2007
Hey guys I looked at my bike and i didnt see any cap for the coolant under the water pump cover. So is it in another spot. And yeah i got Engine Ice. Its the best! Thanks.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Its not under the water pump cover it is on the water pump cover. It looks similar to the other bolts that are holding the waterpump cover on except this one is the center bolt on the face of it. I havent owned a CRF250R so I am just going off my experience with my previous bikes but that is where it has always been on my others. My 2 strokes also used to have a drain plug on the cylinder but my four strokes do not.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The correct bolt will have a copper washer under it as well.

For coolant brand, I buy anything that is phosphate free for my aluminum engines. Phosphates prevent scale formation, but causes corrosion problems when used with aluminum.

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
Coolant!

Just F.Y.I. you should change your coolant once per year, even if it isn't low. Over time the coolent molecularly breaks down and does not 'cool' efficiantly. It also will slowly eat away any metel that it is touching, including sidecovers.

Top Bottom