Cordless Drills- gotta replace "old faithful"

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I still have my first Cordess drill, a 9.6v Makita w/electric brake. It has held up well over the last 15+ or so years.
I also have a 12v Craftsman and an 18v Craftsman that also came with a circular saw. I'm really happy with the Craftsman drills, they have taken a lot of abuse with no problems at all. And the saw is amazing, last summer I built my own shop and storage shed. I used 12'x 4' 1-1/8" plywood for the floors and shelving and used the cordless saw for all the ripping. It went through that 1-1/8 like butter.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I just tossed my first cordless drill ... B&D purchased in the late 1970's. Great drill and they are just now getting back to the same design.

Regarding tools
Cordless - all are Dewalt
Corded - most are Porter Cable, one B&D (Worm Drive Saw)
Cabinet Saw - Powermatic

My 14.4V Dewalt drills (one consumer grade and one contractor grade) are everything I could ever need. I have thought of getting a cordless radio thought :laugh: Maybe by DW.

The Journal of Light Construction just ran an article about 14.4V cordless drills back in March and they had good things to say about most of them.

The most important comment was to stop and change batteries at the first sign of weakness. To run the batteries too low shortens the life of the batteries and risks having a cell reverse polarity and further weaken the battery.

Top Bottom