Counter sprocket seal...

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Hey all, just finishing up the bike tonight after 2mm over kit, replate, bore job, split the cases, etc. and after filling the cases up with oil (pretty sure I filled it .75L) and i noticed that under the tranny it was a little wet with oil.

I traced the leak up to the countershaft seal. Now, I just need to know how the little o-ring(s) are supposed to go in there. Do they both go on the shaft behind the collar, and then the sprocket gets pressed onto that? Right now I do NOT have the front sprocket on, if it makes any difference. Also, the collar has a very small groove in it from the seal i guess.

Thanks in advance, I wanna get this thing started up tonight!

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Make sure you have the sprocket in place.The sprocket pushes the collar over the o-rings and creates a seal on the output shaft,the motor will always leak without the sprocket and clip,the oil is most likely making its way along the shaft and not between the collar and the seal.The o-rings(2) go on the shaft first and then just slide the collar in over them.

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
OK well I didn't have both o-rings in there (damn counter-guy at the dealer said I only needed one of them) and the sprocket wasn't on. Now that I have both orings in and the sprocket on, its not leaking at all. Thanks guys!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Some bikes need one and some need two. You want the sprocket to be tight and barely have enough room to get the snap ring on. That may mean one and it may mean two. It depends on your bike. If and when you change sprockets again, it may change again. I have several KX and KDX bikes (with 2 kids riding) and it really varies by bike and the particular sprocket you buy. Mine have changed over the years. My only explanation is the thickness of the sprockets and the variance in assembly on the units (at least that sounds logical-- I think ???) Personally, I don't care if it's one or two, I just want it to stop leaking!

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
One more recommendation- I like to spray carb cleaner up in the shaft area to clear out any trash, etc. that might be preventing a clean tight seal on the shaft. It's so dark up in there that it is easier to spray the carb cleaner and let it clean and blow out any trash. I promise to shut up now. Good Luck!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…