couple of questions before I purchase...

tbonez

Aug 23, 2004
I went to the motorcycle show and did a side by side comparision on several motorcycles. So far the KDX is the best bike for me. I do have several questions before I buy. I live in an area where the trails are very technical. At times very slow speeds will be required. The speeds that I am refering to are walking speeds or slower. I was wondering it the KDX out of the box will work well at these speeds or if I will need to modify the bike..smaller sprockets etc. The last question I had is in regards to maintenance. Can someone outline the general cost of maintenance on a monthly, semi anual and anual basis? Thanks for your help in advance!

jbrim

Feb 25, 2004
The great thing about the KDX is that you can lug it around in the techincal stuff. I just started riding a dirtbike at the begining of the summer and was able to lug it around until I got used to riding it. I would highly recommed the KDX.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

Ride it first and see if you need to gear it down. The KDX is low maint and very reliable. YOU will need to change the tranny oil a few times a year so at $2.00 at qt x 4 = $8.00, clean the air filter so a qt of oil is like $8.00. Gas and premix. Mobil 1 MX 2 T is good and cheap. Depending on how much you ride in a season that may be it.

Every 2 years chain and sprockets probably so like $120.00 and maybe a set of brakes shoes so $50 for that.

Maybe do a top end ever 2-3 years so $125 for that. Do the suspension linkage every season with Belray H2O proof grease. It's possible the lower shock bearing may wear out first and it's like $20 I think.

Simple stuff really, you should enjoy the bike for what you describe because it's perfect for that stuff.

billc

Mar 13, 2004
KDXs are so reliable and cheap to own/operate! Do yourself a favor when you're greasing the linkage and grease the swingarm pivot bolt,steering head bearings,and axles too.Lots of guys here have found that their bikes came with very little grease.I know it's a little bit of a hassle but it's cheap insurance.Get a shop manual too,it has all the torque specs,pics,etc.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…