CRmann

Dec 24, 2001
I have a Eric Gorr ported CR 500 cylinder.Exellent job and power gain.One thing i am wondering:When the piston is in midstroke i can see there is access from exhaust ports sides to transfers via pistons sides.I mean through the lightened area which are around piston pins ends.My question is:Does the Wiseco piston cover more exhaust side?Can i get even more power with Wiseco if the transfers are not connected to exhausts momentarily?

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Interesting question, yes Wiseco does make full circle pistons with the lightening holes in the inside rather than cast reliefs like the stock piston has. I think that for your model the Pro-Lite has lightening holes from the outside. Does it matter? Yes but more so on a 125cc bike. On the 500 its possible that at some time in the rpm range a compression wave will travel through the minor gap between the ports when they overlap and enter the crankcase via the transfers. But that normally happens on all 2-strokes and the effect varies with the tuning of the engine. Let me put it this way, if it was a big problem the reed petals would get burnt and frayed on the edges.

smokeyhaze

May 2, 2001
Here are some more thoughts on the topic -http://www.macdizzy.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=9&t=000169

Last edited:

CRmann

Dec 24, 2001
Thanks Eric. I´m not very much worried about this piston construction. I saw an picture of expansion chambers shockwaves and understand that there is no pressure in exh. port when the piston is in position where the ports overlap slightly.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by EricGorr
...if it was a big problem the reed petals would get burnt and frayed on the edges.
I get some of that. On the left side of the reed cage the petals gets burned so that it separates in two. The rubber on the tip of the cage is burned too. Does that mean that I have to find a piston that doesn't have the relief holes on the outside?? OK I have to admit that's after a whole season runnung the same reeds. I don't expect the reeds to last much longer than that anyway but the cage has some marks too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom