CR 80 Problems

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
A friend brought his CR 80 today. It belongs to his 12 year old son. The bike started on the first or second kick everytime. The problem was that it would not idle. Power had also fallen off quite a bit and the bike ran crappy on the top end.

To make a long story short, th episton was gone due to dirt finding its way around the air filter at some point. There was a 1/4 inch gash in the exhaust port area.

Common sence would say this bike should not have started well or even ran. It did. I think my lesson in this was to never overlook the obvious.

Oh, and to thank god for helping us invent Nikasil liners. The dirt wiped right off the cylinder. It was somewhat baked on the side and helped seal the scuffed piston. I am amazed at how strong this must be.

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
I have used muriatic,(sp?) acid before to remove the piston material from the cylinder wall. I was blowing up Suzuki's every other ride w/ same problem. Good luck and remeber to wear rubber gloves and safety glasses when using that stuff if ya have too! BTW, it is a Honda, that is why it lasted so long- Hondas rule-

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…