norcaljeeper

Jan 6, 2003
im new here so i dont know all your guys ins n outs i am lookin to by a used bike 98 or newer but have not read any info on mxers for quite some time there for i am now lookin for help. my stats are been riding quads {alcohol powered banshee} for about ten years mostly ride in the dunes. have ridden a yz250 2000 and a 2000 cr250 friends. a bit but were in totally different situations one trails one dunes. what are the pros n cons on these or other bikes. headshake at speed? i know honda had a problem with this yearts ago? suspension not a motocrss racer but ill try to fly soo... power love ridin dunes n desert so tooo much aint e nuff

thnxs in advance

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I too have spent my share of "dunin" on the infamous Banshee's (I owned a 96/91/90/and an 87) and have had my share of 250r's too. I live close to Silver Lake State Park (Michigans finest) and I am very adept at the dune seen! That all being said, it is my opinion that the 250 class of bike is to small! If you want to go by a "Bansh", or run with them for that matter, your going to need either the CR500 or the KX500. (yes that is a period at the end :) :) You will be bored STIFF with a 250!
Running with the big bore I have found that a paddle tire is not essential for major dune fun! Run a big nob at low air pressure (3 pounds) and you are all set. This makes the big bores real easy to prepare for dunes or dirt. I also found that running smaller bikes in the dunes was a burn down waiting to happen (WOT "wide open throttle" all day just doesnt set well). I loved my CR500's for dune work - there is nothin like screaming by a banshee in 5th on the back wheel in the sand!!!!!!!!
I have never ran in the Desert but I bet it is very simular (WOT alot). Check out Service Honda's new CR500A (for aluminum frame). Now your talkin!
Oh, by the way, that Honda headshake on the Cr250's is still a problem. The YZ250 and the CR are both VERY desirable for use in our Michigan Woods!! Good bikes but not what you want!
Woodsy

norcaljeeper

Jan 6, 2003
thnxs i was thinking the 500 class would be a bit of handfull on a trail ride butt the excess power would be fun in the dez/dunes what if any of the new four stroke machines are compareable i mean light peppy easy to maintain one reason i m thinking 250 or four stroke is gas mileage dont laugh we sometimes at least 5-6 times a year go to mex and ride/camp

Top Bottom