CR125 idle/ starting problems...

sgoeb13

Nov 3, 2000
A riding buddy of mine has a 2003 CR 125 that seems to have a few issues. He bought the bike new last summer and it has always been hard to start and wil not idle at all. Another friend of his told him that this was normal for a CR 125 so he is living with the problems. I'm sick and tired of him saying how much he hates his bike (since he loves to ride so much) and would like to get your guy's input on what to do to get his bike to idle and start well. He has an FMF pipe/ silencer and has never re-jetted (I know this is part of the problem but it never idled with the stock exhaust either), other than that the bike is stock. I think he's affraid to tear into the carb to re-jet but I told him I'd do it for him since I have no problem going through carbs. Please help me to get my buddies bike running well. Thanks for any input you can provide. -Steve

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I think your on the right track Steve, sit on his head and make him let you re-jet it.

sgoeb13

Nov 3, 2000
Any idea where to start with the jeting? Pilot, needle clip position, main, air screw? Most of my jetting has been done on 4-strokes. Is there an idle adjustment anywhere(thumb adjuster), I didn't see one when I looked really quick the other day. -Steve

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
on my 250 there is an idle screw, if you dont see one i think you can pull the choke knob up and turn it till you get the idle the way you want.. as far as jetting goes i would move clip position up one, then play with the air screw.. if it runs best above 2 1/2 turns i think you go to a richer pilot - if its within 1/2 turn you goto a leaner pilot

it should run quite a bit better, gl

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I believe on that carb there is both an air screw for mixture adjustments and a throttle stop screw. To set the throttle stop, start the bike and hold the throttle open about an 1/8 to keep it running. And at the same time turn the throttle stop screw in (clockwise). What this does is not let the slide return all the way down, thus letting the engine idle speed adjustable. Keep adjusting to get the desired speed. After setting the speed, adjust the airscrew for best performance.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
oh yeah, double check the float height to make sure its not getting exsessive/not enough gas

sgoeb13

Nov 3, 2000
Thanks guys! I'll post the results after I get a chance to do some wrenching. -Steve

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
koka , Nope its only on the really old carbs the choke acted as a idle screw as well.

kx134

May 4, 2004
tell him its a pos and he should sell it to you for 5.00 and go buy a new CR125 that has a "good idle"

j/k, just hit him over the head and while he is unconcious, get that carb straightened out.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…