QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
Hi all, I am after a bit of advice regarding the cylinder on my 2001 CR250R, in the weekend I had the unfortunate incident of the power valve clipping the piston rings and doing some damage, after stripping the top end down I found the cylinder has at some stage been fitted with a steel sleeve, now there is a bit of damage from the broken piston ring and I am wondering the best path to take. Are steel sleeves a good idea in bikes such as this? or instead of repairing the sleeve should I try and source a new cylinder for the CR? any ideas or advice appreciated.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
hi there,
steel sleeves may not make for the best power.. but at least you can re-bore them unlike a chrome bore.
if there is damage to your cylinder bore why not just get it bored oversize and order a aftermarket piston kit like pro-x or wiseco.
i did this on my yz250 (factory steel sleeve) and its now 1.25mm oversize and ordered the piston from mx-south,now it rides like a new one.

steve.

QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
Thanks for that, Yeah might be the best option especially with regard to saving money. Does anyone know how long steel bores last before they need attention, ie if I get it honed or rebored, and fit a new piston, how many hours would you expect to get before a re bore... thanks

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
hmm i dont know how long they last before needing a rebore again... im guessing nowhere near as long as a chrome bore as the steel is so much softer and it wears oval. BUT if your bike has a aftermarket steel sleeve then those are usually very thick and can take many rebores (normally .25mm minium at a time) before they would be scrap, it would last longer than you would own the bike im sure.
steve.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
i see you are also from NZ so for your intrest the place in Tauranga where i live that did the rebore for my bike only charged $80 to go from a .75 to 1.25mm o/s so its not very expensive to do.....its the pistons that cost.....

QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
Thanks Steve, interesting reading I have only had the CR a couple of weeks, and was perfectly happy with if before the problem so If I can get it fixed with the steel bore with little expense that would be great. Another thing I was unsure about was the piston ring clearence, having a steel liner means I will not be able to set the ring gap to that as stated in the manual I assume or I am likely to suffer a cold seizure? Do you have to set the gap much bigger to allow for the expansion of the different metals???

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
good question about the ring gap i dont really know the answer to that one... my cylinder has a factory steel sleeve so i just followed the manuals specs. i would think that as long as you dont have the gap set on the small side of the specs then it wouldnt really matter but if i was you i wouldnt want to risk it either by not knowing.... maybe someone else will answer this one...

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
Buy a 99 jug for it you will like the power alot better. The 99 has a nice low-in and is a blast to ride.

Top Bottom