kota45

Feb 23, 2006
I'm trying to figure out if a XR400 or a CRF450 would be best for me. I 'm an intermediate rider and ride mostly in the desert at higher sustained speeds (not really into the track). I want something comfortable, low maintenance, and something that I can "cruise" on when I get tired. I KNOW the XR400 will do this, can the CRF450 do this as well, or does it "want" to go fast at all times?

CamDayKX125(4)

Uhhh...
Jan 20, 2006
the crf 450 will be wanting to go fast. i would get the xr 400. its a great trail bike, and whats more, the crf 450 is a mx bike, the xr 400 is made for trail riding and cruising. and their cheaper and lower maintenance.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
CRF 450 X

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
kota45 said:
I'm trying to figure out if a XR400 or a CRF450 would be best for me. I 'm an intermediate rider and ride mostly in the desert at higher sustained speeds (not really into the track). I want something comfortable, low maintenance, and something that I can "cruise" on when I get tired.

Hmmm. Desert riding, Higher sustained speeds.
First off, i'm prejudiced cuz i own one :laugh: , but why either one of the 400's?
What your describing fits the XR650R to a tee.
Super fast top speed, comfortable as a couch for "cruising", and very low maintenence.
Change the oil once in a while, and set the valves every year or so (depending on how much you ride).
And it'll be a happy piggy!
And (beleive it or not) for the average rider its not really much heavier than those 2 middleweights.
Xr650R= 277 lbs
Crf450X= 250 lbs
Xr400R= 257 lbs

Plus the BRP (BigRedPig) is $1,000 cheaper than the X which is important if your a cheapskate like me....... :coocoo:

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
I will preface this comment by stating I have very minimal experience with these bikes.....but that doesn't stop most people anyway. I would second a look at the Big Red Pig. Probably the most reliable dirtbike currently being made and designed largely for the riding conditions you encounter. Also, if you can score a DRZ (or KLX) 400, you may bridge the gap between the CRFx and the XR. It appears to me that based on your needs, neither the XR or the CR are the optimal bike for the conditions.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
i would have to say that my crf450r feels somewhat unstable if just cruising around - could be that my lack of setup is causing this. however, add speed or braking and the bike rides very nice. perhaps just some "looseness" in the suspension when not compressed. my largest concern with the crf450r in your situation would be overheating of radiator and oil - not sure if the crfX version resolves the heating issues though.

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
I owned a 400 XR, rode it for a year in our so. calif deserts. It was a reliable bike, did every thing I ask it to do. Just change the oil and filters on a regular basis and it should last forever. On the negative side, no E-Start, A little heavy.

I have no experience with 450X. But you got to love that E-Start :)

anthonysimo

Nov 18, 2005
OnAnySunday is correct XR650R will do everything you want, they are surprisingly easy to start in stock trim, cruise all day at speed and are low maintenance. Better suited towards larger/heavier riders.
Second XR400 does everything above just slower, suited to lighter riders. If you prefer the 400 then look at a DRZ 400, oft over looked, good solid bikes.
Lastly CRF designed to race flat out from one corner to the next great when racing, high performance weapon that needs looking after.

Top Bottom