CRF pushing through corners

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
CRF450 - cant get this thing to turn

I just cannot get this bike to turn how I want. Both on tracks and woods. I have been riding tight woods lately and cannot get the front to bite and turn. It wants to push through. I took the front compression from 8 clicks out to 14 clicks out and the rear from 7 to 9. The rebound is stock. Any suggestions? I am coming off of a 2000 kx250 and I could take tight woods and turns on tracks but I cannot seem to do the same on this bike.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Stock front tire? They were JUNK!!!!
Woodsy

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
you might have better luck with this in the suspension forum, i seem to remember marcus saying that the sag setting was critical on the crf for good turning. 95mm if i remember correctly?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Don't forget - thumpers handle differently than 2 strokes, thumper is a front steering and 2 stroke is rear. It has taken me about 10months :confused: to realize and now I feel right at home.
I do all of my braking prior to the corner and power through it as opposed to
late braking in the corner and then getting on the power. The big thing is powering through the corner and not coasting off power.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
Yea, this is suspension related question. And Marcus is right, the problem lies in the rear end. Having the proper spring rate and race sag will make a HUGE difference. But also having the proper rate in the front is just as important. Don't over look that.

But the rear has a progressive rate on it, so going to a straight rate is also helpful. But either way, 95mm of sag is a good number.

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
Thanks guys- I will put a post in the suspension forum also.

By the way- I have the sag set at 100mm and the stock front and rear tire.

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
I posted this under the thumper forum and they suggested I post under this forum. I have the 03' CRF450 and I just can't turn this thing like I want. It wants to push through the turns. It won't bite/hooked up. I am coming off of a kx250 and never had this problem.
I weight 190 without gear
STill have the stock tires
Have backed out(softened) the front compression from 8 clicks(stock) to 14. Have backed out the rear from 7clicks to 9 clicks. Nothing to the rebound. Still have the stock tires- everyone says they are junk. Any suggestions? Something just doesn't seem right.

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
I put on 756's before my first race. So I really rode the stock tires for about 2 hours, just breaking it in.
I weigh 205 , and came off a ' 00 cr 250, the 450 turns better than it did, and is amost as good as my ' 98 RM250.
After about 5 hours , I greased all the rear end, and when I pulled the shock off, I notices that only about 20% of the shock rebound( threaded area ) was used, and the bike squatted quite a bit, I screwed the rebound down to about 60% and like it quite well. Only softened up on the clickers maybe one click from stock, for offroad use.

See ya

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
Anyone explain to me what adjusting the rebound will do. I do understand from a previous post that it has to do with the speed of the shock going from compressed to its normal position. But I don't quite understand how softening/stiffening affects the way it handles.

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
I think greaser was talking about the sag, not sure though. Try lessening you sag to 95mm or so, that might lighten up the front alittle, which I think you would want to do if your wheel is plowing.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Lightening the rebound will allow the rear to stay higher(opposite to packing) and so make the steering angle steeper.My friend on his 02 has set the sag to i think 95 or even 93mm and also pulled the forks through in the clamps by about 10mm.It steers as good as my 02 CR125 as far as i could tell.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Sounds like you might be riding it like a two stroke. I had the same problem with my 426 until I learned to ROLL off the gas instead of chopping it. The engine braking helps to transfer weight to the front wheel. Four stokes also like to be on the gas during cornering even if only a little.... it seems to keep the front planted better. I also moved my forks up about 6 MM.

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
Marcusgumby- are you saying that I should take my sag from 100mm to 95mm? Also, I understand compression, but am a little confused on how rebound affects the handling.

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
I read the MX-tech and it was helpfull. I just want to clarify something.
1.Turning the clickers out(softening) the rebound speeds up the rate at which the shock returns.
2.Turning the clicks in(stiffening) the rebound slows up the rate at which the shock returns.

Thus if I am trying to get my bike to bite in the turns I would think I would need to stiffen(click in)the rebound so it is not compressing and too quickly returning and thus pushing through the turn. This seems it would cause the front to stay more planted through the turn. Am I right about what I've written here?

clw

Dec 29, 2000
Better turning is related to weight on the front end. So, for the forks you'd slow the rebound and soften the compression to get the front to hang lower. On the rear the opposite, less sag, faster rebound and more compression. You're effectively changing the chassis geometry slightly. Just try a little of one circuit at a time and remember your base settings. Tune, ride, readjust, repeat as needed.

PeteN

Jun 5, 2000
I'm runing mine with the forks slid up about 1/4". Turns great, but I also have a damper. FYI

wolverine

Jan 9, 2002
Setting rear sag is the most important thing to making this bike handle! once you get the sag set then start dialing in your ride to fit your style and the track or trail. Oh ya like everyone said JUNK DA FRONT TIRE. have fun with your new CRF 4fiddy!

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Our Local track owner/ retired pro has a CR450F and one of the first things he did was change the triple crown to get it to turn quicker.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
If it is a 02', there were also issues with some having loose rebound pistons.

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
03'- I think I am going to try some of the advice I got.
Like - set the sag to 95mm
Soften compression and maybe even stiffen rebound to slow the rebound. We'll see. To much snow/ice right now to ride.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…