Micas

Feb 18, 2008
One of the hub bolts vibrated loose ( yeah i should have been checking them) and caught on the swing arm and sheered the remaining bolts off and destroyed half the spokes.

My question is, would it be cheaper to buy a hub and have it relaced ( if so where is a cheap place ) or should i just get an entire back wheel?

Also if there is anything else i should know about this sort of thing.

EDIT: I dont really understand how something like this happens or if its in any way common ( assuming you dont tighten on a regular basis ). If someone could explain it would be great.

Last edited:

SIXSIXZERO

Mar 10, 2008
this happened to me last summer, broke my hub.
i found a complete wheel on ebay for fairly cheap, cheaper than buying a hub and spoke set. i now check all my sprocket and disc bolts every ride. also put some thread locker on , it helps.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I do not know about putting locktite on them sprocket bolts. They are hard enough to get off without it. An 05, how many sprockets do you think have been on that bike? Basically going over all the bolts and nuts every time you ride is a good idea. How deep and far did the swingarm get notched? I knew a guy that snapped 3 bolts off trying to use the allen bolts and extension bar! Torque the nuts. There is another thread with a mechanic I would pay 100 dollars an hour to lace a rim, if I could watch.

Micas

Feb 18, 2008
The swing arm shows mostly surface damage. Just like a semi deep scratch, nothing bad enough to make it unstable.

The thing is, the bike had been sitting for a few weeks. I got on it to ride around the yard a few times to knock the cobwebs off and i got probably 50 feet before it happened.

I wasnt even in 3rd gear yet and was essentially coasting which is good since im sure it would have been a lot worse had it happened wide open on a track somewhere.

I guess i just got lucky with it not happening the last time i was on it at the track.

I found a rear wheel on ebay all parts included with pics that show no sprocket wear at all for $325 +shipping. That sound about right? Could i do better?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I use blue loctite on my spocket bolts. Never had a problem with them coming loose or getting them loose to replace.Don't try to tighten or loosen with the allen head, use a box end wrench to break them loose and to torque them from the back side just use the allen head to snug them up and to hold while you tighten the nut. Check sevice honda for a complete wheel I'm thinking around 325-340 something like that. A good wheel will bring 85% of that on ebay. And it may not be perfect.

SIXSIXZERO

Mar 10, 2008
+1 on the blue locktite, sorry i didnt specify the first time.
i got my wheel for 140$, and it was in really good shape. i also had a broken hand when i was looking, so i dont know how long youll wanna wait to get one. keep looking, youll find what you need

Top Bottom