CRF250X, CRF250R, CR125, arrgg which one?

squale

Nov 10, 2003
Well basically here is my story. I have been riding quads since I was a kid. I am 23 now, I'm 6'2", 185lbs with my riding gear on, and I like to ride pretty aggresive. I have never owned my own dirtbike but have ridden many friends and like them a lot. So I was thinking of getting my own dirtbike, but don't know what to choose.

I ride mostly in the woods (some which are very very rocky and lots of roots), but then I also like to go to the track and hit some pretty nice 20-30ft doubles. So you can see, I am torn between track and trail, and really want the best of both worlds. As you can see the bikes I listed are all Honda.. why? well I like Honda and Yamaha the best, but since all my gear is Red/Yellow team Honda gear, I figure lets keep the nice matching look because after all, the specs on both manufacturers bikes seem neck'n'neck.. do you think this is true?

So all of that being said, I wanted to get a used bike and spend no more than like 3K on something in good condition and something not older than a 2002. So I started the search. What I came across were A LOT of CR125's, CR250's, YZ125's, YZ250's, but really no 4-strokes. What is everybody selling their 2-strokes and switching over to the 4 stroke MX bikes?

So I then checked out the new 2004 bikes. I found from reading the specs that the CRF250X is basically the same thing as the CRF250R just that it has an electic start, and a front light. This bike seems like it might be the best of both worlds.. track and trail.. what do you guys think? The price tag is a lot though.. we are talking 6K, that's more than double what I want to spend. But at the same rate, I want to make sure I get a bike that I really like and can use wherever I want to use it.

So my main questions are:
1.) Which bike(s) do you think are the best for me?

2.) The big question.. 2-stroke or 4-stroke? I hear good things about both.

2.) Should I buy new or used?

I find that most trail bikes, although they are nice in the trails, just don't hold up on the track. The suspension is usually too soft and you bottom out on big jumps, plus the bikes are heavier and just don't handle as good on a track. So this is where it's hard to find something that performs equally well in the woods and on the track.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
You don't race? If you just ride track aggresively not in a race check out the KTM EXC line. Nice 2 strokes for trails that will rip on a track(well better than a KDX because of the suspension). I wouldn't get a 125 or 250 fresh off a quad ready for trails. I would go 4 stroke if you want a bike that is a real racing bike that can take the trails. The CRX is getting pretty pricey so if you can wait a few years it would be a good choice as a use bike. But I see why you want to get off a quad so the KXF/RMZ125 is the next choice. It handles like a 125 with more low end. I wouldn't be afraid to take this one in the trails. These two are almost brand new; so is the price. I can't tell you much on the YZF but I haven't heard it recomended as a trail bike. Just wondering what was your quad?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Ah, a four stroke. Figures.

Well KTM tend to be high too unless you find a nice used one......you'll have to get a used bike unless you want to spend over 4.5G's. What price range are you looking at. Your in a tight situation. Theres always the KDX but I didn't think you'd want that if you ride track aggressively and jump. Awesome trail monster though. I deffinatly wouldn't tell you to find a WR. That would be a joke on the track and in rocks. I don't know. The 4 or 2 stroke question is up to you depending on what motor you like on two wheels. KTM's aren't to common on the used lot. I'd either get a KDX and modify it with some money or find someone who didn't like there CRX or maybe a CRF(since they're more common).

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
theres always the KDX but I didn't think you'd want that if you ride track aggressively and jump.

That dude at DW did not seem to have a problem clearing that large step up on a bone stock KDX. You could tell the bike was protesting, but he cleared everything on the track :eek:

I deffinatly wouldn't tell you to find a WR. That would be a joke on the track and in rocks. I don't know.

Why not?

I would say that used WR250F would do very well. The only real difference between the WR and YZ is the tranny and cam timing. I believe the suspension is the same only the WR come some different clicker settings. I don't think the internals are any different. With a few mods they can be brought up to the YZ specs. There a lot of guys in my trail riding club that use the YZ250F on the just trails, but they are slightly modded to do so (bark busters and such). Not sure were you ride, but our riding is a good mix of terrian. WR's will do just fine in the rocks and if you could get over having a wide ratio tranny on the track the WR should work very well. You can pick up an 01 or 02 WR250F close to or slightly over your target budget and just put the 03 cam in it to get easy starting of the 03.

I would say that the WR or CRFX (it has the head light, E-start and Wide ration tranny) would be the bike for you. More trail and a little track. If you want to spend some cheeze go used orange EXC (4 or 2 stroke). If you want more track I would say make a YZ or CR work for that.

If you go honda in the 250 4 stroker you will have to buy new.

Last edited:

squale

Nov 10, 2003
if I did buy new say a crf250x, how much money do you think I would lose on the bike if I only kept it for a year? how about 2 years?

do you think you could gett he CRF250X for the same price as the CRF250R?

it just gets me that I would pay over 6K out the door for something with only 2 wheels when I can get another 400ex or even lay down a few more hundred for the Honda 450r. It just seems like you get sooo much more versatility with a quad.. but I really want a dirt bike ya know.

also is it a bad idea buying a first year bike? I have heard horror stories about people who buy first year cars or trucks so I didn't know if the same holds true for bikes and quads?

finally, I basically narrowed it down to either honda or yamaha. I don't want European bikes, too hard to find parts for around me and really nobody sells any used that I can find around here. I don't really like Suzuki's and Kawasaki's all that much. So I want to stick with a Yammy or Honda. If you had to compare the 4-stroke bikes between these two, who would you say has the better bike? I have been told that Yamaha's 2-stroke YZ125 was the BEST 125cc 2-stroke MX bike, but I don't know if that holds true with their 4-stroke models. How long has the Yamaha 4-strokes been out compared to the Honda 4-strokes?

Thanks

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
A KDX is perfectly capable of clearing a double or step up. You just might wish you had put KX forks on it while landing.

I've never rode a WR but everyone says they get headshake or something. I guess you could take it on a track.

About the quads, sure they're versitile. Thats why they were invented. Someone took a utility and put 10 inches of suspension on it, unhooked the 4WD, and redid the gearing.:) Yeah and whats that lever on the handle bar for? Quads aren't that special in trails because you just point and pin it while sitting on you butt(if you prefer). Unless you have independent suspension its a pretty ruff ride. We have ATV television on our dish and you watch them go through rock trails sitting on utilitys while their head just bounces around. If you want to ride a dirt bike it takes skill and practice. On a dirt bike you can pick a line and you have to use balance constantly. I'm 13 and I hopped on a Trail Blazer once and it took me 30 seconds to master the thing. Thats why motorcross is the second most demanding sport after soccer.

OK, having said that if its Yammy or Honda go grab a 4 stroke and have fun. I think the CRFX might be cheaper (because its not a racing bike) but it might be more if it has E-start and lights. It is a Honda so I don't know.
Welcome to the club as long as it has 2 wheels.:)

I rode a Zuke w/ Yammy gear and I expirenced no difference.:)

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I stated the CRFX is NOT a racing bike therefore a trails/enduro bike. If you compare any MXer to a trail bike of the same brand and size the MXer is usually more because it is hopped up for racing. Then I said it might be more because it is trail equipped(lights and E-start) but I really doubt. I hope Honda doesn't detune the CRFX like the XR's. They surely wouldn't will still make the XR's, just call them CRF's.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The CRF250X will be CARB compliant so I'd expect it to be all choked up like an XR.

I'd also expect that the big XRs have a limited life span. Notice that all of the little XRs are now CRFs?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Wonder why they are calling the 250's CRF/X and CRF/R. I thought the only difference was E-start, lights, maybe different timing like the YZ and WR. There ought to be a difference if they're going to stick a X on the end. Maybe the XR's and current CRFs are going to be called CRF/X. From the look of the bike it didn't look anything like a XR250 which can be street legal(it had MX fenders).

Top Bottom