crf400x

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
I was thinking what if Service Honda took a new crf450x and dropped an XR400 engine into the chassis? It would make for an awesome bullet proof trail bike with modern technology. Honda is definitely lacking in their lineup of off road bike that are bullet proof like the old XR's used to be. The crf230s are great and all but something with a little more grunt would be nice. Also with the update chassis and components wouldn't an XR400 engine in a crf450x chassis weigh about the same, making the once old heavy pig better suited for tighter trails? What do ya think AJ?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I've been tryin' to get AJ to make one of these for years.

Trouble is, he wants a guy to pay him to do it. Imagine that.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
I've been tryin' to get AJ to make one of these for years.

Trouble is, he wants a guy to pay him to do it. Imagine that.

Peel off some of that potato money you have stuffed in your mattress and get it going Pred.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Peel off some of that potato money you have stuffed in your mattress and get it going Pred.
well, I gotta have e-start too.

and throw in some supermoto wheels and tires, just for fun.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
well, I gotta have e-start too.

We'll then I guess AJ will have to start with one of the TRX400 engines he has in the basement at Service. ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
We'll then I guess AJ will have to start with one of the TRX400 engines he has in the basement at Service. ;)
Then I could have reverse, too!

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
I wonder If Honda could sell some of their bikes without power plants by request. It would cut down on the cost for building something like this. What would a frankenbike like this cost anyways?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000

All they need to do is put good quality SS valves (no Ti) in the crf450x motor and maybe a bit milder cam. No need to bring back old/heavy technology....

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
holeshot said:
All they need to do is put good quality SS valves (no Ti) in the crf450x motor and maybe a bit milder cam. No need to bring back old/heavy technology....

x2.

Or someone could put a cylinder with a bigger bore on a 250X.

While the XR400 was reliable and torquey, I don't think it was quite as great as some of you guys remember it.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
While the XR400 was reliable and torquey, I don't think it was quite as great as some of you guys remember it.
Yes it was! I wish I'd have been able to keep mine to compliment my 525EXC. Excellent spare bike.

Heck, Pred2 is darn near big enough for it now. :yikes:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
dirt bike dave said:
x2.

Or someone could put a cylinder with a bigger bore on a 250X.

You are correct, the XR250 was a much better choice, especially when pumped up a few cc's. :nener:

There is something about no messing with radiators, water pumps, etc... that is appealing to some folks. Me I like having that 6 speed trans as well :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…