zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
We just got a new Kubota RTV 900 for the ranch a few weeks ago. If you're looking into a utility type quad or vehicle, check these out. Originally we were thinking quad becuase of the big cost difference, but realized there wasn't much we could do with one. We have 50 acres, much of which is rolling & steep hills with lots of trees, dirt roads, & one looooong, winding paved driveway. There's lots of year round maintenance, and a quad wouldn't do much other than drive us around. I prefer to use my legs for that.

The RTV 900 is built like a tractor. It's way over built. We opted for the 4x4 worksite model. So far I've used the optional power dump bed for adding base rock to our driveway, hauling old truck tires to the trash heap, and carrying logs I cut from fallen trees (with my Husqvarna chainsaw!) during a storm. And there isn't anyplace this thing can't go. And I'm never afraid of it tipping over. Even if it did, the ROPS is beefy. And it has so much engine braking, steep downhills in low range still require giving it gas. Let off the gas, and it slows to a stop NOW. This feature takes some time to get used to, but after a few days everyone here agrees it's a plus. You can even let the brake off in Low and it doesn't budge.

Speaking of teh dump bed- it's mounted over the engine & tranny, so access for oil changes & such is a breeze- just tilt the bed. There is a front hood, but most of the "make-it-go" bits are under the bed.

The gear selector is a pain sometimes, especially when its cold. And it's a bit awkward at first, unless you own a Honda Odyssey or any of the other new minivans that have the gear selector on the dash. Going from R to any other gear is rarely easy. Even going from Low to Medium is sometimes sticky. Same for 2wd to 4wd. I've read on tractorybynet that this is common, and will break in over time and after the first tranny oil change (50 hrs). But it can be frustrating at times, especially when trying to make a 3 pt turn on a tight trail. :bang:

Driving the thing around is fun. It's smooth, with well damped suspension. It doesn't wallow, nor is it too stiff. Weighing 2000 lbs must give it stability, too. This is no golf cart, for sure. If it had a windshield & doors, I'd have it as my daily driver. I think it rides better than my toyota pickup. Top speed is somewhere around 25mph, so I'd have to gear it up a bit, too. Seating position is similar to driving an Isuzu NPR or VW Bus. You're upright & leaning forward over the wheel.

A few more options we added were a winch, the heavy duty tires, a roof and ROPS mounted spotlights (it comes with powerful headlights).

It wasn't cheap. But it seems built to last forever, like our L3750. And it's a heck of a lot more useful than a quad. And it's orange. :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Dang Zio, you gona' pick up a Bell helicopter next? ;)

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Bells are for posers. I'm gettin' a Westland Lynx.

And when in Texas for Christmas, I picked up my first pair of real cowboy boots. Howdy, You all!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Geez and you didn't even stop by to see me?!

Top Bottom