blackwolf001

Jul 22, 2002
hi all,as i said in another post here i'm novice on four strokes and need some advices.
I have just bought an honda crf450 '03 and i just want to have some advices from riders with this bike.
I put Castrol R4 superbike oil in the engine and gearbox .(what do u think about this oil?)
The jetting is stock(170) and don't know if this jetting is recommended for the bike.
I never ride the bike on tracks ;it's for tomorrow and i need advices to take care of the bike(i'm very afraid of braking the engine).
I rode the bike near my house (on the road) very cool twice (15min yesterday and 20 min today).
Tomorrow will be the first race with my new baby and i'ld like to have advices from crf owners to take good care of the baby to have her a long and unbroken life.
Sure u will help me and thanks for all your good tips!!!!!!

jaliveto

Apr 5, 2002
I posted on this and got some advice. I too have the 03' 450CRF. everybody says to grease the headset bearing and the linkage. I change the oil every three rides. Some do it every ride. I think the jetting is fine. My mechanic had an 02' CRF and had to re-jet it. He now has the 03' and thinks it's good without jetting it. Put a skid plate on it and change the plastic engine guards with some metal guards. Other than that, do not let it sit and idle to much as I have found mine overheating. Oh yeah, put a set of radiator braces on it. I had a couple a wash outs and have bent my radiator already. Could have been prevented. As far as break in, I rode my easy for about 1 hour. Then opened it up a bit more the next ride. Third ride, I rode it all out. I changed the oil every ride for the 1st three rides. Now every three rides.

blackwolf001

Jul 22, 2002
thanks for your advices , i rode the bike yesterday and what a fun!!!!!
I rode last year a Honda CR250 '02 and found it very good but now that i tried the CRF450 i just can't enough of my new baby ; it's so easy and so smooth i can't believe.
Thanks for the tips for the radiator braces but i put the old bike ones on the crf (with some adjustments but got it).
I rode yesterday in sand very cool for more than half an hour and then i let her cold after that i started to charge more and found the bike wonderful(easy turns,nice in whoops...)
Today i'm gonna wash the babe and change her the oil as you adviced.
If you read this i just want to ask you one lore question:when i was in 3rd gear and wanted to open the throttle very low in rpm in some slow turns i heard sometimes a little clic-clic in the engine at very low rpm who disapeared immediately when the engine gets the rpm .Have you ever heard something like that in your?But it never happened when i was "good" in rpm.
Just wanted to say one last thing to everyone : if u wonder about buying a CRF450 go ahead don't hesitate you'll be enchanted i think it's the best bike i ever ride this last three years(cr250 '00 cr250 '01 cr250 '02)

Last edited:

mxaddict

Oct 3, 2000
That 'click-click' you hear at low rpm's is most likely the chain slapping the chain slider on the swingarm, all the crf's do that so don't worry. The chain needs to be run slightly tighter on these than on the cr250's, and as it gets looser you will hear that sound more.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
yea no fear blackwolf001 my crf does the same thing. and your right its the best bike ive ever had!!! its sitting in the garage right now though from my cousin looping it out :| he's getting me a new titanium 4 exhaust for it though, more :yeehaw: POWER!! :yeehaw: enjoy your bike you'll have loads of fun on it

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom