CRF450 Springs and setup....

LawDog101

Sep 24, 2002
My CRF is finally all broken in and I am going to get the shock oil changed and do the forks as well. Any tips on:

1. Spring Rates- I am 200# (w/o gear). Accoring to Race Tech, the fork springs are .47's and the shock is a 5.5. They say that I don't need to change the rates. I tend to agree.

2. Oil Level-

3. Valving- Mine seems to work pretty well. A bit choppy on the braking bumps but pretty good. Any idea's?

Thanks

James

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Probably work pretty well once you change out the oil . It seems as though the first oil change usually makes things espescially forks a bit more rreactive to smaller chop and a bit more plush . If it woks pretty good maybe you dont need to throw money at it . JUST RIP

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
FYI: The rear spring is a progressive rate. Of the 2 I've recently tested, they both started out at approx. 5.0kg and one went up to a little over 5.6, while the other topped at almost a 5.8kg

If the rear feels good, run it. But if you feel like spending a little (sort of) money, a straight rate 5.4 works really well.

And I agree about the oil change in the front.

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I recently heard about maybe putting a softer upper (little) fork spring in to plush the stroke out a little in the front? Is this a good idea? Also HONDA65 do you know people who have tried the 5.4 in the rear? It sounds like a good idea I am curious about the results. Also what about oil height and weight in the forks? It is as nessasary to change the shock oil in the rear shock after break in as it is in the front forks? Any help would be apprietiated.

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
I'm testing some softer pressure springs, jury is still out for now. As for the 5.4 spring, yes I know numerious who use it, with excellent results. Depends on your weight of course. You may need a softer or stiffer. The stock is a progressive, approx 5.0-5.6. Last years was alot softer.

For the '03s, I run 5wt both inner and outer, with a level of 390-400cc

Its always a good idea to keep your fluids fresh, but you don't need to change it out as soon as you would on your forks. Keep an eye out for oil leaks on the shock shaft seal. I see alot of Showas that leak, even when almost new. Look for any build up where the shaft goes into the shock body as an indicator.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…