Lowing link or less spring rate springs? CRF450

CRAPTECH

Dec 28, 2004
I just got back into riding, 07- CRF450, I am short and long in the tooth, I have always lowered my bike by spring adjustment. But I want to lower this bike with a link or with less spring rate. I know that lowering the rear changes the rake and with this bike like my others, 30 years ago, I will lower the forks about 1-1.5 inches to match the rear. I think the rear rate is around 5.5. With out gear I am about 160#, should I go with a lower rate spring or a link or both? If some one had some good results they would like to share, that would be great, thanks T Green

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
another option more common around here is to shave the seat foam a few centimeters, tipical with shorter riders or kid making the transitions from minis to full size bikes, or, alter the subframe to lower the seat.

all the options include trade offs, in the case of the link it may cause the wheel to touch the rear mudguard or airbox.
a lower spring rate may mean a higher static sag due increased pre load on the spring to mantain the race sag (the amount the rear suspension lowers after you are on the bike).

CRAPTECH

Dec 28, 2004
Thanks Helio,
I plan on posting the information as I mod it, I have a 04 cfr250, and just got a 07-450. As I look at the 450 it is very intimidating. So I just got the bathroom scales and weight both of them, the 250 almost empty = 215 # the 450 ¾ full = 228. Measuring at several points they are almost the same. I got a gel seat and a lowering link coming. Let you all know how it works out. Terry

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
CRAPTECH said:
So I just got the bathroom scales and weight both of them, the 250 almost empty = 215 # the 450 ¾ full = 228. Measuring at several points they are almost the same.
they may wheigh more or less the same but they´re behaviour his completly diferent. mainly due frame geometry and rotating mass. gravity center tend to be higher on the 450 as well.
the 450f is fast and races prove it, even a 250f can beat a 250 smoker :cool:

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
just sagging the spring is more likely to give you a harsh ride where a lowering link should retain the progressive rise in stiffness as you compress the rear. Both Helio and myself would recommend a trials bike to cross train and then no need to put the feet down with the extra ballance

CRAPTECH

Dec 28, 2004
Well, I installed the link, and a lower seat, lower the forks 3/4 inch. have not touch the spring and the bike was setup for a 200+ person, it feel very good. measuered the fork rake before and after with race sag and it is the same. Having a foot or the point of your boot on the ground is nice thiing for starting the bike. I really like the 450 but there just a few things that I am going to change, let you all know how it turns out this weekend. tmg

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'm with pesky, you don't need to be able to touch the ground. I was really short until my 20s and rode an RM125 all through high school. I couldn't get both tip toes on the ground. Did LOTS of muddy trails, hillclimbs and jumping with it. Sure it was a hassle to get started if you stalled it in deep mud or on a hill but it forces you to become a better rider. I would use a tree to lean on while I started it sometimes, lol.

CRAPTECH

Dec 28, 2004
Here is a photo, it is not that low, but the link give it a better feel, The gel seat is hard as a rock, save your money don't get one of those. I had reduce the spring tension on my 250 and it made it feel like riding on a flat tire. Report back with detail after the weekend. But I got a sweet deal on the 07 and could not turn it down. TMG

Attachments

• DSC01555 (Small).JPG
    DSC01555 (Small).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,609

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
pesky nz said:
. Both Helio and myself would recommend a trials bike to cross train and then no need to put the feet down with the extra ballance
indeed!!!

i know the feeling as i am quite short myself. when do long trail rides on my ktm 360 i really don´t need to put the feet on the ground, BUT, and this is a big BUT (no pun intended) if i stall it on a non level ground, i have a hard time to start it. most of the times start it on a delicade situation wears me more than 1 hour riding on trails.
of course, on fast riding or mx i constantly struggle to do not put my feet on the ground, it means i fell :|

CRAPTECH

Dec 28, 2004
Well my question was is it better to change the spring or use a link, for me the answer is the link.
After riding this weekend both track and tails, the link is awesome, that 450 handles so much better that the 250. Maybe setup. Look guys, I’m no slouch, but I am old and short so what ever make me feel happy is the way I am going. And for a trials bike, if I could have a Montesa like I had back many, many years ago I would. I also had a Montesa 250 VR. So, there are a lot of folks that I see eye to eye with on this problem, (meaning short people) so for those people that would like to lower their bike and retain a good suspension I would highly recommend a lowering link.. I am just so happy with the bike it unreal. I let a younger, faster rider take it for a few laps, six foot and 180 lbs, he really liked the handling, it stuck in the corners, and even with our solf southern sand, he could blast out of the turns. I got some work to do on the smoothing out the throttle response. But I am one happy boy…tmg

Last edited:

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
You're on to it

CRAPTECH said:
Well my question was is it better to change the spring or use a link, for me the answer is the link.
Look guys, I’m no slouch, but I am old and short so what ever make me feel happy is the way I am going. And for a trials bike, if I could have a Montesa like I had back many, many years ago I would. So, there are a lot of folks that I see eye to eye with on this problem, (meaning short people) so for those people that would like to lower their bike and retain a good suspension I would highly recommend a lowering link.. I am just so happy with the bike it is unreal. tmg
As long as the fun is there nothing else really matters, especially cheeky remarks from the other side of the world :ride: :ride: :ride:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom