CRF450R CRF450X -- Any luck making the "R" Road legal in MI?

aaronjs

Nov 6, 2006
If anyone has some input on how to go about doing it, I'm all ears. I jumped the gun and got a 450R instead of the 450X. I understand I will need the basics (lights, brake lights, mirror), but I noticed that the Title is stamped something to the effect "not road legal."

Does anyone have experience getting an "CRF450R" model converted to the CRF450Road model?

-Aaron
Holland

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
I would be interested in hearing about making a 450X legal for the street too... I read (glanced over an article) about a street legal 450X,but it was not California-ized...nor did it seem a better option than just buying a dual purpose bike....high dollar modifications reqd. :bang:

Good thread question, aaronjs....I hope we get some enlightenment. :cool:

Ken

Orangewoods

Jul 25, 2005
I believe it's called the Green sheet that you have to get at the secretary of state office. It will list all the requirements that you are to have on the bike. Then you get a Police officer to check your bike out and he or she to signs off on it. You then take the green sheet with proof of insurance to the S.O.S with the original title and they switch it and you can register it at the same time. I think that's it. If you know an Officer they might let you slide on certain things if you tell them your intentions, Racing enduros, crossing roads without worries of being ticketed...etc..

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
TR-54 seems simple enought but I wonder how much hassle it will be to get the goverment offical's to sign off on it.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Long as you meet the items listed on that sheet, here in Michigan it's not that big of a deal. Occasionally you will meet a cop that doesn't understand the sheet and will not pass the bike. Just say thanks for your time and try a different one.
We're still plating two-strokes here.
Good friend plated his CRF450R back when they first came out. He put the lighting coil in it so it had lights which is (I think) the "hardest" part for the 450R. Some guys can get away with non-functional lights and/or running the brake lights off of 9V batteries but I'd bet you have to have a pretty friendly cop to sign off in that situation.
The list is pretty easy:
hi/low headlight
brake/tail light
horn
mirror (can be on your helmet)
DOT tires

aaronjs

Nov 6, 2006
ALL GREAT INFORMATION! Thank you so much for your support. I had previously prepped a 98 CR250R (two stroke) for the process of getting it street-able. So, now that I have experienced the joy of the 4-stroke --> I'm changing directions. I'll end up putting the 98CR250 up for sale, and use the revenue to march forward with modifications of the CRF.

Speaking of which:
I have found that Steahly Offroad sells a lighting kit for the bike. And, if you use their flywheel with larger magnetic abilities, the wattage is actually impressive. With a nice skid plate, a few radiator guards, the little handy rekluse clutch, and I think it'll be a great little woods bike.

Though, I do miss the shear fright factor of my older KTM500 two stroke. That thing had some zip. :)

Thanks so much for the information!

-Aaron

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
I have gotten bikes approved with non DOT tires, but it is hit and miss. Otherwise Pirelli has DOT tires that are made for dirt riding.

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
These guys make some nice plug and play products for legalizing bikes: http://www.sicassracing.com/main.htm

Also here's a copy of an email I sent someone who asked about plating a bike in Michigan:

Pretty cool process actually. As far as equipment you need a high and low beam headlight----high beam indicator not required. Tail light/brake light with a small clear window to illuminate the license plate. A brake light switch on either brake---not required on both---but I do both to eliminate any doubt. Horn---I use a compressed air horn for PWC's. Mirror either handlebar mounted or helmet mounted. DOT tires. Kenda TrackMaster II's are very aggressive and DOT. That's about it. No turn signals or speedo required.

Now for the paper work. Get a form TR-54 ( http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf ) from the Secretary of State office. You have to have a city, county, or state cop fill this out. Part I and II. Part I is VIN verification and part II is the equipment inspection. Once this is filled out take it to the SOS office. You have to have a title (it will say offroad use only) or the manufacture's statement of origin for your bike. It gets more complicated if all you have is a bill of sale or the purchase receipt from your dealer. If your SOS office is not familiar with the process just tell them it has to be done "off line"----not using their normal computer process. Also remember to bring proof of insurance if you want a plate. You'll be issued a temporary street title and will get the real one in about a week by mail.

ride2live

Oct 26, 2005
I've had good luck with the inspections here in Eaton County. I call the sheriffs dept. and they send a car out to my house!
Can't beat that! Full knobby tires have not been a problem either. I agree that it's important to emphasize the fact that the title is only for DNR trails and enduros (crossing roads).

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003

I think this is what you are looking at for a lighting coil

http://www.electrosport.com/shopping_ignition_lighting_coils/prod_ignltg_str_esl950.html

Ive used there products before and highly recomend them. Good stuff. You can also get a voltage regulator and hydraulic brake switch from them as well. Call vs inet order. I am sure they will have what you need.

Then all you need is a headlight, tailight, Mirror, and horn.

I would go with the Bajadesigns LED tailight. Works really well.

Headlight....well there are lots of them. Take your pick. I like the Acerbis ones. Just make sure that you can wire it so you can switch between 2 bulbs or filiments so you can simulate a hi/lo beam light or the inspection ( I used a toggle switch from radioshack)....even if you are switching between a 30w bulb to a 30w bulb....I have no idea who would do that though :laugh:

The little Acerbis plastic folding mirror works good for the inspection but is worthless as you cant see **** outta it. I would go with a Bug eye helmet mounted mirror. They work awsome. I am a believer.

Kenda Trackmaster is a pretty good DOT tire and pretty cheap thru www.rockymountainmc.com

slowjoe on this site has done the exact conversion you are looking to do.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Bike-line.com has the cheapest converted bike insurance too. Also, as 2tracr mentioned, dont fool around trying to please 1 certain officer - just say thanks and move along to the next guy - same with the SOS office. I have had my best luck with little small town offices.
Concerning California,, I have sold a few bikes to folks out yonder. Back in the day, I was buying out of Canada, putting them together here and shipping them there with a Michigan Title. As I recall, there was something about the Canadian bike VIN that allowed them to be a Green Sticker bike - like a "C" instead of G or something like that. I also know from experience that Colifornya (any state with a Terminator for Gov is good by me) and Michigan share Reperocity (sp) and its fairly easy to get a salvage title legalized because of it......... Lets see,, anything else I know bout CA...... Oh yea, I know a couple crazies out there that can take a completely normal trip out west and make it an UNBELIEVABLE adventure - and if ya ride with them you really dont need to be street legal cause they ride a longggggggggggggggggggg ways from any roads....
Woodsy

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Oh yea,, not sure about the X but if I were gonna do out the R,, I would invest in the "xtra" large oil res too - those suckers have a tiny oil case and they are still a 4 stroke - meaning they naturally vent oil vapor - road running and low oil dont work real well..

Orangewoods

Jul 25, 2005
Always keep in mind when, or if you do ride on the road and you get pulled over you have to have an motorcycle endorsement and the Officer can write you a ticket for anything that's not street legal, S-12's no horn no licence or proof of insurance endorsement and mirror is usually the first on there list.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Here's a thread that I put up on what I did to street legalize my CR250r here in Michigan (Eaton Co) - no difference from the 450. There's no need to have a lighting coil to be legal in Mi - I run on a 10 AA rechargable battery pack. I took just called the Sheriffs office and they sent a car to the house. Only thing I didn't have to officially be legal was the DOT tires and she didn't check that. I used the form above printed right off my PC.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=143608

I got my insurance through progressive BTW for $75 a year for full coverage - theft/fire/collision + $1,000 in add-ons and $1,000 medical. $75 was the minimum they could charge for a policy in MI and so they gave me as much coverage as they could for the $75.

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
My situation with a 02 kx250 was painless. I used a Mickey Mouse horn, Huffy bicycle mirror, Non-DOT offroad tires, very low watt headlight bulbs wired into the power jet solenoid on the carb and a LED taillight/brakelight combo with a hydraulic switch for the rear brake. The officer didn't even have me start it! He took my word that everything worked and signed off! Painless...Hopefully the 06 XC-W goes as well cause it's way more legit. Good luck. Oh, if you want to get crafty and be a bit of an outlaw, you could find a small steel alphabet stamp set and brand your tires as being D.O.T. legal. I'm not saying I have or would( ;) ), but you never know when a cop may look!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Unless Progressive has changed their policy over the past 2 years, I'm surprised they did not charge you the $137.33 MCCA surcharge (2006) on top of the $75. Bike-Line.com does not do this.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
They must have - that or I'm going to get a surprise next year when they re-up. I'm paying $46/month for the CR250 and my ZRX1100 or $552 per year - which is less than I was paying for just my ZRX1100 with State Farm.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…