cutting handlebars

yarrowkevin

Mar 12, 2004
just bought a new set of aluminum cr hi bend bars and was wondering how much to cut off the ends for tight woods riding, any suggestions would be appreciated[ :yeehaw:

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
A pipe cutter.:. works like butter and leave an even cut... they are like under $10 from walmart

yarrowkevin

Mar 12, 2004
no ,how much to cut , I know how?

some people have said 1 inch with handguards, some say leave them, some say 2............ etc

motorpsycho

Jun 8, 2003
I tried the pipe cutter method on my bars as well............ :bang:
Several cutting wheels later, I took the bars into work and used the bandsaw. :laugh:
As far as how much I took off, was one inch per side. Make sure your hand gaurds dont interfere with the crossbar before you cut. Mine was close............
Good luck!

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
I used a recipricating saw with a metal cutting blade. And to answer your original question, I cut about 3/4" off each end, leaving about 30" total.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I also used a recipricating saw. It works like a hot knife through butter and I trim the bars down to 29". Carefull though, I don't think any shorter would allow the clutch and brake levers to angle correctly since they will start to be mounted where the curve in the bar starts.
Best thing to do: mount up all the parts to your bars and cut off what is left hanging over.
Good Luck!

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
All good points, but not how, but the results that count. If you use bark busters or something similar, and why would you go without them in the woods--cut down to about 29", but do perform the checks suggested above before you cut. I have not found a good way to extend them (back) yet. Cheers John

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…