Cylinder honing

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I got a 2000 220, putting new rings and piston in it. The cylinder is in spec and looks great. Putting the new rings and piston in anyway. Question is should I hone it or just clean it out??

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
if im correct, the KDX cyc. is nickel plated, so all you can do is clean it up, otherwise you will have to get it replated.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Thanks for the reply. I didnt want to do it because something looked wrong just was wondering if it would be better for the new rings. Thanks Jeff

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
i just went ahead and put a sleeve in it from la sleevs .com its a dream com true pure steel

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
EG says you can hone plated cylinders. Others seem to think it's some kind of sin.

Pick your poison, I guess.

re: 'dream come true...pure steel.'

That's funny.

Radiator Ron

Dec 8, 2003
plated cylinders can be honed with a diamond hone, do not use ball or stone. If cylinders have a little aluminum stuck to them use muratic acid to get it off. Be careful though first of all its acid, second it eats aluminum. Use a Q-tip to apply in affected area, then work it with scotch brite pads. Eric offers diamond honing services.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…