kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
Just had my 220 cyl replated by a well known plating co.Upon cleaning and pre assembly inspection it seems to have some kind of build up in all the threaded holes.According to the instructions some pitting of machined surfaces is to be expected but this is to the point where the fasteners are binding.Has anyone else had the same experience?The cylinder was in perfect condition,none of the fasteners had corrosion on them etc.They did do a fine job on the plating just the prep work seems lacking.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I did not have fasteners binding but I did end up with a sticky KIPS valve. The bore that the right hand sub port actuator arm goes through got roughened up during the pre-plate pickling process. I had to wrap emory paper around a drill bit and carefully re-hone that bore.

I'd put a little anti-sieze on the fasteners and run them in and out a couple of times?

Karl

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Run a tap in the threads and all will be fine.

Any time that machine work is done to an engine whether it be the cylinder or the cases you should always clean out the holes with a tap and cleaning solution. This will allow proper torque specs on reassembly.

Sorry that they didn't do that for you. I guess they're just cutting costs or perhaps some jackass did the work instead of the man himself.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
When I got my cylider replated it came back covered in fine dust. I think it's from the honing operation. Everything was also pitted, which is a result of the chemical peel - it is the initial step of the replating process. I thoroughly washed everything with soap and water and scrub brush. And I do remember having to hone a few places like the KIPS bores. I think I had to chase the threads with a tap also.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom