Cylinder Re-plating

lmhedge

Mar 28, 2002
Pulled the topend on the '96 KDX 200 I bought over the winter expecting to clean the PV's and pop in a new piston. The plating on the cylinder is worn through above the exhaust port.
Anyone have any experience re-plating KDX jugs? The motor has had some beautiful port work done by Moose, I would hate to trash it.

Ark_220

Apr 1, 2003
It should not be any different than any other cylinder. That is the best direction to go, what other mods were done to the bike like suspension and such?

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
How do you know that the plating is worn through? I would think that if you really did wear through the plating the unplated aluminum would wear so fast that there would be a groove that could not be re-plated. Got a picture?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I ingested some dirt and had to have my cylinder borred and replated at a cost of $190 (including shipping). That's a lot of money! THe question I have is why is the wear only above the PV? How did your piston look?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Do some searching thru google.com

Langcourt replates to any spec you want. They need the piston you're going to use to get the thickness right.

re: Port work done.......

That's likely why your plating is goobered. The correct way to do it is port first, then replate. Otherwise you end up with plating peel. People that know (like sage) have said that a port job without replating is a guaranteed failure waiting to happen.

Some have been lucky NOT doing it that way. Maybe you weren't one of 'em?

EG provides replate services thru us-chrome.

Expect a replate to run around $150 (plus ship, plus new parts).

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
When I tore my 95 KDX engine down for the first time, I also found that the plating was worn through above the exhaust port, at the very top of the ring travel in the cylinder. Mind you that this was after probably five years or so of riding with the motor never being apart. It is probable that this is the just the point where the piston imparts the highest force on the cylinder wall, and therefore the cylinder plating wears out there fastest.

Regards,
Lutz

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…