cylinder sleeve?

ecy063

Sep 15, 2005
I am trying to decide wich way to go with my cylinder. Have heard having a steel sleeve installed has some advantages over replating. Have also heard the argument that sleeves cut down on dissipation of heat from the cylinder. I would be thankful for all comments. I have two bikes that are both due for top end work. Kx250 and Cr85.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
I just had a cr85 and a kdx200 oversized to a 220 done at US Chrome. I have been running the 85 about a month now no problems. Not started on the 220 yet. I think the plating is a lot more durable and may even be cheaper when all is said and done. Took about 2 weeks to turn them around.

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
if you can do it your self, then the sleeve is quick and easy, but for quality and longevity the plating is what you want.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
There are lots of threads on this. Do a search and you'll the overwhelming majority will say to go the plating route.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Obviously the sleeve will allow the cylinder to be overbored, if necessary.

This is of little value if there are no oversized pistons. Our kx 125, with a sleeve, turned in to a nightmare. Few, if any, pistons available in an oversized configuration.

Before you sleeve, just ask what oversized pistons are available. Look them up in a catalogue and make your decision. We would have been miles aheead by goign to a 134 with a replate. Now we need a new cylinder to do so.

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006

go to www.lukesracing.com

Call them up and use them for replating. They outsource to Millennium but you pay a better price. I paid 190 total and they had to weld and fix damage. I am very pleased with them.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…