the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'm looking for people to caravan with up to this race in Nor Cal. It'll be about a 7 hour drive ... the race is on a Sunday, Nov 6th. I figured I'd leave very early Saturday morning, camp overnight, race on Sunday, camp overnight again, and then drive home on the Monday. The race is near Upper Lake, CA.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I've never been to the Cowbell, but I considered it for for my first "try" at an enduro while I lived in NorCal. But the dang thing was on a wet weekend everytime it came up (lots of mud), so I didn't go. I had been looking to enter an enduro long before the TWMC events came along. ;)

Later, I went to ride the Cow Mountain trails during a dry, summer day. Some pretty interesting stuff (lots of trees and bush), including a "staircase" section. I only rode a small portion of the available trails.

It'll probably be great, rain or shine - I'll live through your ride report. :cool:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It's in the Mendocino National Forest, just north of Clear lake. The riding area is commonly known as Middle Creek; staging at CC Camp. It's got many good trails; I think elevations are around 4,000 feet for most the good stuff, though CC Camp is lower.

Besides being a good enduro and riding area, one reason for a SoCal rider to select this event from the D-36 calender is the date. While fall weather in NoCal is notoriously fickle and early November could be anything from a dustbowl to a snowfest, the odds are good the first rains will have come, yet it won't be bitterly cold. Of course, some years it starts snowing in October, and others it won't rain until December!

BTW, the Cowbell is not at the Cow Mountain BLM area that Holeshot mentioned. D-36 does have a cross country race at Cow Mountain, in the spring.

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Basically I looked at what D-36 enduros are coming up and picked one on a weekend that was open for me. The Cowbell was it. To clarify, the race is actually on a Saturday, so I would drive up on Friday. As a bonus, there's a family enduro about 3 hours away the day after ... so we could drive up Friday, race the Cowbell on Saturday, drive to Forest Hill, race the Training Wheels family enduro on Sunday, and then drive home on Monday. Awesome trip.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
BTW, the Cowbell is not at the Cow Mountain BLM area that Holeshot mentioned. D-36 does have a cross country race at Cow Mountain, in the spring.

Not exactly sure where I went riding that time (Middle creek or Cow mountain). I'm nearly a Super Senior, ya know. :eek:

Thanks for the clarification.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I'm still coaching my sons team Saturdays in Nov. So, I'll have to pass. Unless you were motivated to leave after 5PM. His games at 3 that day. Have fun.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thanks for the heads-up ... I did get the days wrong initially.

Will you be attending Treefinder ?

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Eric I'm a little torn on this on. I would like to enter the Lake Elsinore GP this year, because I've heard rumors that this year will be the last. And then there's the Wicked Bird on the same weekend.
I'm thinking.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Elsinore and the Wicked Bird are both the weekend AFTER the D-36 races.

C'mon Scott ... this will be one to remember !!!!!

Jul 23, 2004
The cowbell is a superb enduro. Lots of trail that is used only for the race. Last years event had a gnarly downhill/manzanita tunnel right off the start all the way down a mountain, followed by a decent hill climb with the first check on top the hill...the list goes on. I highly recommend this event, I just hope that there is a good rain before then.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'm looking forward to it alright ... just hope I can convince some other folks down here that it's worth the road trip. I did the Wild Boar last year and it was a great time ... totally different experience than our desert enduros here in So Cal. A real eye opener and some killer trails. I was totally glad I went to that one ... and was impressed with the folks running the event as well as the way they ran it. I'm hoping the Cowbell will at least live up to or even exceed that experience.

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
Hey Eric, I'll probably be able to go up with you. I haven't ridden in two months, so I'll have to start getting back out there. It's a ways away, but if we can work our schedules out, maybe we can carpool. I'll drive up and you can drive down after we've ridden 130+ miles of enduro trails! :)

Top Bottom